thirty-one: part 1

(a/n: in this story, Dinah's birthday isn't on June 22nd because I wanted to write a birthday chapter that occurred during the school year anyways, enjoy !)

+

February 22nd
(Dinah's 24th Birthday)

I had spoiled Dinah tremendously on Valentine's day and vice versa, but that's not enough. Today is another big day in her life so I have completely amazing plans already laid out for her.

Kehlani was coming to Seattle to perform, but the tickets sold out quicker than I expected and Dinah was so disappointed that she didn't get a seat. It just so happened that my short time as a barista would pay off because I worked with a guy who's family owned the venue she'd be performing at. So, I contacted him and after a few hours of nicely declining his advances to explain that I was contacting him for tickets, he said he'd give me two backstage passes because I used to clock him in early at the cafe. Not to mention, I spent a vast amount of money at Zales to get my girlfriend a diamond necklace with her birthstone attatched to it. We had saw it at a jewelry store once and she thought it was so beautiful, so while she moved onto look at the earrings, I put the necklace on hold.

I locked the presents away in the bottom drawer of my desk before starting class. Dinah had no idea I had gotten her anything and I wouldn't let her find out until the end of the school day.

--

After my second substituting class, the bell rang and I stood at the front to collect the papers that the students were assigned when the first bell rang.

Now, Sabrina and I have become good friends as the year progressed so I was happy to see she was the last to turn in her completed paper, like always. She pulled the strap of her backpack on over her shoulder and smiled up at me, "Did you hear? It's Hansen's birthday."

"Yes, I know."

"Did you buy her something special?" She urged on the conversation.

"Maybe. Maybe not." I turned on my heel to start walking behind my desk as Sabrina walked up to the front of it.

"Okay, I don't wanna play games anymore, Ms. Y/L/N. Are you and Ms. Hansen dating? I mean, I wouldn't judge you two if you are."

"What makes you think that we're dating?" I smirked, stacking the papers together to set them on one pile of my desk. I looked up and saw the excitement in her blue eyes.

"Well first, there's this thing about how you're both around each other all the time before or after school. Then when that happens, you both have this look in your eyes that my Mom and Dad have for each other." She started to daze off into her own world, but she quickly came back to her reality. "So are you?" It started to get quiet, so she spoke up once again. "I promise I won't tell."

I sighed out, "Do you want the truth?" Sabrina nodded, "I am dating Ms. Hansen, but you have to keep it quiet. We don't like people getting into our business." Which that was a lie. It was more of what Dinah wanted when I could really care less. I liked when people were jealous of my relationships or when they liked to make up rumors about the perfection behind it all, but that wasn't something D encouraged.

Sabrina exclaimed, "I knew it! You're probably the hottest couple in this school, so I'm all about this." The tardy bell rang and I picked up the pink slip pad to write her a late pass, which I've been doing a lot lately. "So, you love her, huh?"

I pulled the page off of the slip and handed it out for her to retrieve it, "Yeah, I do."

She grabbed the slip from me, "Cool. Well, don't worry. Mums the word." Sabrina used her imagination to lock her lips and throw away the key before skipping out of the room for her next class.