chapter-7

The rest of the day dragged on slowly, and exhaustion weighed heavily on me. Finally, I made the decision to take a shower to freshen up from the scorching heat outside. Thoughts of Raymond consumed my mind while I stood under the shower, but I couldn't understand what was happening to me.

The past three weeks had been a complete disaster. It felt surreal being paired up with Raymond Reynolds, a.k.a "Mr. Popular" for a project. Inevitably, my mind filled with clichéd scenarios from typical chick flicks. But reality hit me hard—I was living in the real world, not some fantasy. 

This isn't a Jenny Han book Sophie! 

Wrapped in a towel, I hurriedly put on a tank top and ripped blue jeans. Just as I was about to head downstairs, the doorbell rang. Glancing at the clock, I saw that it was already five in the evening. I knew exactly who it was. With my notebook and pen in hand, I descended the stairs and found Mike standing at the door.

"Hey," he greeted in a flat tone.

"Hey! Is everything alright, Mike?" I asked, concerned for him. You see, Mike had been going through a lot, especially with his family's financial struggles. I was determined to help him no matter what. I had once asked my mom if we could assist them financially, but when mom approached Aunt Telsa with help she gracefully declined. I respected her decision because she knew her situation wouldn't change anytime soon, and helping her out would only burden us financially.

"Umm... Soaf," he stammered.

"Yeah? Mikey? Are you okay?", I looked at him, placing both my hands on his shoulders. 

I saw his lower lip tremble, and his eyes started welling up. "It's alright, Mike. Everything is going to be okay." I encouraged, trying to lift his spirits. I knew he was troubled, but he never opened up about his problems until they became unbearable. I hugged him and patted on his back trying to soothe him. 

"Soaf, c-can you please ask Raymond to tutor me?" he pleaded as we pulled away, giving me those innocent puppy-dog eyes.

What the heck?

No.

Am I that terrible at teaching?

"You know, I'm offended," I said, giving him a pointed look.

His gaze fell to the floor, lips pouting. Then, he looked up at me, and I swear his eyes were begging me.

"No," I exclaimed, giving him an angry look. But he continued with those innocent eyes, and eventually, I gave in.

"Pretty please? With a cherry on top? Come on, Soaf. Please," he pleaded.

I let out a sigh. "Okay, drama queen!" I said, rolling my eyes and raising my hands in surrender.

Why? Why does this always happen to me?

Since Raymond didn't pick up his phone, I dropped him a message:

Hey! I need a favor. Can you please come over? It's kind of urgent. If you're free?

~ Sophie

Message from Raymond

Tap to read

Okay, I'll be there in fifteen?. And just so you know, I'll be there for you ;-)

~ Raymond

Stop quoting song titles and come here soon!

~ Sophie

Exactly fifteen minutes later, the doorbell rang.

That was quick.

As expected, it was Raymond standing on the doorstep. I greeted him and motioned for him to come inside, and he followed. While making our way to the dining room, I noticed my mom coming out of the kitchen.

Great. Just great.

Oh, please, Mom, don't embarrass me.

"Hello, young man," Mom chirped. I sincerely hoped she wouldn't bring up the topic of our "date." She actually believed it was a date, but it wasn't. It was a simple school-related stuff.

"Hello, Mrs. Esinberg. Nice to meet you," Ray replied calmly, a small smile on his face.

"I must say he is quite handsome, Soaf," Mom commented, looking at me directly.

This is not good.

I knew something would go wrong! I had a gut feeling. Now he would think I'm just another one of his fangirls crushing on him. Maybe he'll stop talking to me, and then I'll lose my only friend!

Nervously, I wore a forced smile, trying to hide my anxiety.

"Thank you so much, Mrs. Esinberg. But I must say, you look beautiful yourself," Ray said, amusement glimmering in his eyes.

"Aww, call me Ellie," Mom replied, still smiling. Then she turned to me and said, "I already like him, Soaf. Very Chivalrous. "

Of course, Mom. He's trying to impress you.

"Very sycophant", I murmured scrunching up my nose. 

Mom turned to Ray once again, leaning in conspiratorially as they exchanged whispers. Their laughter filled the air which only made me more annoyed.  

And then she said it.

"Thank you for taking Sophie on a date, Raymond. She seriously needs someone. You see, she doesn't like to hang out with friends," Mom said, her eyes filled with hope.

Yes mom I don't like to hang out with friends because they don't exist. Ever since Daniel left I never really had anyone who understood me. But why would mom say this in front of Raymond?

Oh, Mom. Why are you doing this?

"MOM—tha" I was cut off mid-sentence by Ray as he began to reply.

"My pleasure, Ellie. If you permit, I'd like to take her on another date," he asked.

What is he doing? That wasn't even a date.

"Yeah, sure. Anytime." Mom replied with a smile on her lips. 

Trying not to panic, I informed Mom that we were going to the dining room and that Ray was here to help Mike. As we strolled toward the dining room, Ray playfully began teasing me. Anticipating his jests, I braced myself with a annoyed smile. 

"So, a date, huh?" he smirked, taking in the view of our dining room.

"Yeah. I-I'm sorry about that, Raymond. I told Mom it wasn't a date, but she doesn't believe me. I'm so sorr—" I began to apologize, but Ray interrupted me.

"Princess, I was just kidding. Why are you explaining yourself? I was kidding, that's all. Don't apologize, okay? It's no one's fault. Besides, it kind of felt like a date, right?" Ray said, smiling as we took our seats at the dining table.

I was still taken aback by his last words. I informed Raymond that Mike wanted him to teach math, which was embarrassing for me since I was supposed to be the one tutoring him. Thanks to Mr. Popular, now Mike believed Raymond would be a better teacher.

I couldn't understand it. Raymond Reynolds, who never submitted his assignments on time and found them difficult, and who wasn't particularly strong academically, was now capable of teaching a 10th-grade boy so well.

Wasn't that strange?

Despite everything, Ray seemed happy, and for some reason, seeing him like that made me feel good. As he taught Mike, he wore an incredible smile on his face, his eyes sparkling. I couldn't put into words how he looked—his blue hazel eyes, his tousled dirty blonde hair that somehow enhanced his appearance, his perfectly defined jawline...

Stop checking him out, Sophie. Oh God. What happened to you, Soaf? What are you doing? Remember the game plan? You have to come out of high school alive! 

 Stop, Soaf, stop it.

****
Hey guys

Another update. So how was it? I request you to please please please vote for the chapters. I see there are a lot of readers but very very few of them vote. Please guys vote.

Thank you for reading :-)