chapter-12

Raymond Reynolds' POV

"I-I... umm well... God, why is this so hard? I mean, I never choke, not even when my parents scold me. But this girl, she was different. I couldn't lie to her, especially when those innocent, beautiful dark brown eyes were looking at me. I paused, taking a deep breath, attempting to collect my thoughts.

"I what, Raymond?" Soaf asked, her anger palpable.

"Chase forced me to go there. He wanted me to meet someone," I lied, my words holding a shred of truth. After all, I did meet this Daniel guy today, whom Chase had mentioned he met at the party yesterday.

"Someone. Right, I get it," Soaf mumbled, her gaze drifting into the distance as she took a deep breath. Her eyes seemed lost, consumed by her own thoughts. Before I could say anything else in my defense, she spoke again.

"Well, leave it. Let's get back to work," she said, attempting a smile that failed to reach her plum lips. Her eyes betrayed a sadness, revealing her overthinking nature.

I want to make her happy, but why? I don't know. I want to know the reason. Maybe it's because I didn't do my work and feel guilty. Wait, or maybe she didn't like me going to the party with those girls? If that's the case, then maybe I can twaek a few things here and there to my plan.

"So, what should I do?" I asked her, lacking any motivation to work. I just wanted her to do it for me. I mean, who does their homework when the most intelligent and beautiful girl in school is sitting right next to you? Did I mention her vulnerable eyes before?

"Okay, since our project is on the nuclear power generator, you just read this paragraph which will help you solve the power requirement problem," she pointed to the page, "and I'll do the rest."

"Okay, I'll read it," I agreed as I stood up. Suddenly, she grabbed my hand and pulled me back down.

"I don't know about you, Mr. Reynolds, but I certainly don't like losing marks. Everyone doesn't live in a rich ass world like you. Some of us really have to work for scholarships", she declared  making me sit back on the couch beside her.

"Huh?" I gave her a confused look.

"Do your work now!" she replied, injecting a touch of drama into her voice.

"Okay, princess, calm down. I'm doing it," I assured her, gesturing for her to relax as she shot me a frowning look. I began reading, but as usual, I couldn't comprehend any of the it. Not even a single sentence so I gave up and decided to ask her for a little help help.

I glanced at her. She was engrossed in writing notes, oblivious to a strand of hair that was falling on her upper lip, probably tingling her. She bit her upper lip in a reflex to the tingling sensation.

Before she could reach for the strand of hair, my hand was already gently tucking it behind her ear, savoring the softness of her skin. She stiffened under my touch, prompting me to withdraw my hand immediately. Isn't it strange how a pair of eyes can reveal so much? She's like an open book, her innocence, kindness, and intelligence crystal clear in her gaze. Just a pair of eyes. Those big brown eyes.  

She looked adorable, innocence radiating from her face. Her eyes gazed into mine, her features so beautiful. She gave a weak smile, causing my heart to swell. I noticed her cheeks heating up, taking on the brightest shade of pink, but it only made her look even more beautiful.

Wait. Not again. Stop it, Raymond. You need to control yourself.

That's when I realized how close we were. She suddenly shrugged and shifted, creating some distance between us. I looked at her and then returned to pretending to read, attempting to fill the awkward silence between us.

What was I even trying to accomplish? Soaf isn't just any other girl. She's different. She won't be swayed by my charms so easily.

I tried to resist the urge to look at her, managing to hold back for a while. But eventually, I couldn't control myself anymore. I glanced up and found her already facing me.

"What?" I asked, giving her a confused expression.

"You still don't get it, do you?" she asked, her tone soft yet tinged with frustration.

"Nope," I replied quickly.

"Uhhh... okay, so it says that nuclear generators..." With that, she began explaining it to me in a more articulate language, using real-life examples. I must say she's incredibly good at simplifying intricate concepts. She has a way of making things easier to understand, breaking them down to their basic level. We studied for a while, and then I went into the kitchen to prepare supper for us. That's when the doorbell rang. I assumed it might be Chase since he's the only one who visits my house, not even my parents. They bought this house for me to have easy access to school, while they lived roaming around the world meeting potential clients and gathering investors. 

I asked Soaf to see who it was. As I entered the room holding our supper, I saw Daniel walking in with Soaf. She appeared somewhat shocked, and Daniel had a similar expression.

"Hey, Daniel."

"Hey, Raymond!" Daniel finally snapped out of his shock.

"Wait, you guys know each other?" Soaf interrupted.

"Yeah, I just moved in next door. But how do you know him, Kim?" Daniel chimed in.

"Ohh... I'm here to help him with the project. We were paired up together, and..." Soaf began to explain.

"Okay, I understand," Daniel interrupted again.

Numerous questions swirled in my mind, but I didn't know which one to ask first.

Did he call her Kim? How do they know each other? Why was Soaf giving him an explanation? Finally, some words escaped my mouth.

"What Kim? How do you two know each other?"

Soaf was about to speak, but Daniel beat her to it.

"Kim, ah, she's my best friend. I've known her for as long as I can remember!" he said, sliding his hand onto Sophie's waist, a gesture that didn't sit well with me, not at all. Though Sophie didn't seem shocked by his touch. She stood there, smiling sweetly and nodding in agreement with his words. It was different for her. She seemed comfortable, a level of comfort I had never sensed in her before.

An urgency surged within me, a spark, a desire to pull her away from him, to break their connection. I didn't understand what was happening to me lately; I seriously needed to regain control. 

"So, why were you here?" I asked, with a frown. Yes, I think they went harsh but that's what I wanted. So that he can leave my Soaf and just go back.

"Okay. Thanks." He said before moving around and heading towards the main door. As he was stepping outside he stopped and turned around before saying, "Hey, Kim. I hope you complete your work before eight. We can go to your house together."

"No need. I can drop her there." I replied with a tight lip.

"Thank you so much, Ray. But mom invited Daniel for dinner tonight, so I can go with him" Soaf said while giving a warm smile. While she mouthed 'sorry' to me.

I smiled back and said "It's fine". That's what a good guy is supposed to do, right?

Good guy? What are you even thinking Ray? Ugh. 

****
Hey guys!

Another update with Raymond's POV. Did you like it?  Please follow my instagram page! Here is the link:     https://instagram.com/voracious__reader_?igshid=OGQ5ZDc2ODk2ZA==

Please read, vote and comment

Thank you for reading :-)