The Talk

After a drive with her dad, Eira went to bed with mixed feelings, unable to pinpoint a single one in the vast ocean of thoughts.

She checked her alarm one last time and laid down on her soft pillow.

She reached out her hand to grab her elephant plushie and hugged it forcefully (it was a cute plushie).

The sun circled the earth and didn't quite reach the sky Eira slept under, but her alarm beeped, waking her in the dark.

The elephant plushie was on the floor and Eira was hugging the edge of her blankets. She slammed her thumb on the screen and flipped over, sleep dominating over her once again.

Her snooze alarm jolt her awake again. She threw out her hand, the cold seizing her arm. Wincing her eyes, she looked at the time.

"SHOOT!"

6am training, 6am training... training, school... gotta keep up, girl!!!

She threw the covers off her, her legs already shooting for the floor. Except, one foot managed a step on the soft plushie and she went plummeting to the floor.

Ugh! What a morning.

Trudging downstairs and flicking open her phone, her vision focused on a set of text.

Ms. Kate: Please come and see me after 4pm.

"Double shoot." Eira cursed.

As promised, at a time where the sun set fire to the horizon, Eira fiddled with her fingers as she walked to Ms. Kate's home.

Looking up, she saw the pink sky, her own blue hue iris blended naturally with the red.

She looked back down and inhaled deeply.

Maybe she's breaking the bad news. Maybe I'm not fit enough to be a Ryder. 

She lost count of the steps she took to get to the door, but she counted how many knocks and how many seconds she waited before she heard Ms. Kate's voice.

"Come in."

Ms. Kate's house was lined with wooden panels, oddly like a cabin the woods. All it was missing was a mountain view.

Eira instantly felt the warmth of the fireplace as she walked in, and the crackling she heard was the sound of actual, burning firewood. 

There was a subtle smell of fruit in the air. The warmth was soft against her cold skin, washing over her like a tide over the shore.

Eira sat down gently next to a grey cat, it's front paws crossed and tail occasionally flicking. It's eyes are closed, but head raised with some regal elegance.

Ms. Kate brought her a cup of warm coffee.

Eira sipped.

Mocha.

Ms. Kate sat down, her shoulders were relaxed as she leaned on the armrest, eyes watching the fire.

Eira's icy hands warmed. Carefully, she went to pet the cat, not forgetting to give a glimpse at Ms. Kate beforehand for permission.

Ms. Kate laughed. "Misty loves a good pat."

Eira smiled, her fingers smoothening the cat's forehead. The cat did not stir, but the eyes seemed to flutter ever so slightly.

"I hope training has been going alright."

Eira blushed. The silence was kept for a little too long for comfort.