Track'em Down

Two days ago

Two days ago...

I'm not dead.

Stanley managed to open his eyes against the bright light.

His tensed up the muscles in his arms, but he couldn't move. He turned his head, his hands were tied, and no one was in... the storage warehouse?

The dark ceiling made the swinging lightbulb intimidating. Stanley rested on the surgical stretchers and waited for someone.

He shuddered as the chill prickled his body. His chest moving in a quicker pace.

He struggled against the bounds in vain. He wanted to scream about his aching body, his open wounds... he desperately wanted someone to let him go.

But he didn't.

He stopped struggling. He needed to think of something, anything to help him escape. In between his fading in and out sessions, he heard briefly about an experiment and the word 'test'.

He swallowed. He has never been this frightened in his entire life. Were they going to cut his body open? Or were they going to torture him until he died?

"I need him at his best state," he heard someone say.

His body stilled. 

"I'm only giving you three days to heal him, but at the end of those three days, you are going to use it on him."

He heard the click of someone's boots, and they came closer. He closed his eyes.

***

Present

Impossible...

Hurt... pain... have to-

Stanley gasped loudly as he fell back onto the ground. He stared, wide-eyed at the white ceiling. His internal flame quivered weakly.

The cell he was locked in prevented him from using any of his power. Even his own fire travelling skill couldn't overcome this barrier. Fire manipulators have a rare skill of letting their own fire warmth travel a distance to a nearby fire controller.

Stanley tried his best to force the warmth out, but everything seemed to have trapped his power within his body; a blocked vein, preventing blood flow, leading to death.

***

Stanley had his eyes closed when he heard someone's frightened, whimpering voice.

Someone was being thrown into the same cell as him.

He heard the invisible guard door close and someone banging hard on it. The vibration travelled the whole cell but he ignored his irritation.

"Let me out!" the girl cried desperately.

After moments of futile struggle, she eventually sighed in defeat.