Shadow and Cerulean Blue

In a dark room, where a strong coffee aroma lurked and the only light source poured through the gaps of the curtain, a Shadow stood. Behind the Shadow, a girl watched with wide-eyes and balled fists.

She began, gulping. "Jess has powers."

"And how is that relevant to us?"

"The flower, Archias, might be able to last longer."

"And why is she any different? We've already tried so many other floral manipulators."

"I... I asked her to show me." The girl lifted her head, her heart shaking, "She can create any flower — she can create new species if she'd like — but yes, any flower. She's not good, but-"

The Shadow spun around. The unseen gaze holding the girl in place.

"You know what to do then."

***

Eira eyed Jess carefully during English class, their first period together. Jess had greeted her alright, but there was something wrong.

No doubt something about Jason.

Eira repressed a sigh.

Their English teacher walked by them, passing each of them a sheet of paper with a smile on her face. Her long pony-tail slanted at the side. "This is based on the book we've studied. A revision sheet, please don't lose it, people!"

Eira looked down at sheet of paper in disgust. Exams and training. Thank god no training on Monday.

She turned to Jess, but Jess was talking to someone else. Eden smiled sweetly at Jess, laughing at something she said.

Eira didn't understand what Jess saw in Eden. She held a pretentious air around her; her friendliness somewhat fragile in Eira's eyes.

Seeing Jess resonate in their conversation, Eira was stricken. Eden always took Jess away during English.

Fumbling through her pencil case, Eira clicked a pen and began writing.

A figure sat down next to her. Flitting a gaze, she almost rolled her eyes when she realised who it was.

"Hey," Dorian said, scrunching up a smug look.

He placed down his bag, looking hurried from being late, knocking her shoulder in the process.

Eira barely managed a greeting. Her negativity threatening to surface.

She ignored him and began writing.

After a short while, she noticed Dorian leaning closer to her. She thought it was her sensitivity, trying to dismiss the unpleasant feeling rising like bile.

Inhaling a breath, she adverted her attention to her side.

Dorian was copying her.

"Could you not?"

Dorian shrunk back, attempting a smirk but only nervousness flashed past his eyes. "What are you talking about?"

"Don't be dumb. Stop copying me."

Eira gave a quick scan of the classroom. People were chattering, the teacher was on the other side of the room, and Jess was... still busy talking.

If she had seen Dorian, perhaps, Jess would've given him the glares.

Eira inhaled deeply, asking patience to bless her.

She heard him stifle a bitter laugh, "geez..."