Umbrella and Cake

Eira made sure that Jason dropped her off a short distance away from her house

The moment she got inside, Mrs. Riley ushered her to her room.

"I think you're outfit's cute enough, but do your hair again." She pushed a bottle of lotion by her daughter's hand.

Eira stifled a chuckle, a blank look in her eyes. "Who are we expecting anyways?"

"Oh, just some friends — the Roland's — but I want you to look perfect."

"Okay, mum. Totally not suspicious."

Eira let her hair flow. She brushed through it with her fingers, grabbing the brush, she looked at herself in the mirror.

I always look nice.

"Be quick. They're coming soon."

"Alright mum, I'll be right down." Eira could already hear her dad entering the house.

"I'll get to your dad and we'll prep the food." Her mum's voice faded as she descended down the stairs.

Eira smiled, shaking her head. She smoothened her dark hair into a bun, moisturising her face with lotion. In all honesty, Eira had the intention to look presentable but also had the intention to just look nice and feel nice for herself.

She adjusted her earrings and put on some lip balm.

The door bell rang again and Eira let out a breath.

"Socialising," she breathed. Anyhow, it wouldn't matter. She would be the good daughter her parents always saw her to be, and they would be proud of her. They'd show off her, no doubt, to their friends. While, they might do the same if they had a kid.

Eira raised a brow. Did they have a kid?

She descended downstairs. Her mum was hugging a lady, friendly-faced and gentle-looking. She spoke softly, her curls tied back with a ribbon. The husband spoke with dad, looking familiar and comfortable in each other's presence.

Eira inhaled deeply.

Smile, check.

Back, straight.

Ice queen, on the move.

She descended the stairs gracefully, hands trailing the rail and footsteps light. She tried not to present her stance as infallible and untouchable, rather, she made sure she was both elegant yet down-to-earth.

"This is my daughter, Eira."

"Nice to meet you."

"She's beautiful."

"Thank you. Nice to meet you too."

Her eyes caught the tall boy standing next to the adults.

"This is my son, Davis."