A Change

"That's what I call a plot twist

"That's what I call a plot twist."

"I know! It calls for celebration. How about Maccas?"

Jason peered over his shoulder. Eira's eyes were downcast as Ms. Taylor spoke to her; her expression soft, her eyes conveying understanding.

Jason turned back.

"Are you up for soccer?" Nick asked.

Jason nodded. "Yeah, next Monday?"

"I'm in!" Skyler raised her hand. She gave a wary glance over to Eira. "I hope she's alright."

"It's excess powers," Jayden shrugged, "quite common though. A few traumatic experiences should do the trick."

Jason shook his head, a smile on his face. Nick chuckled lightly, "It's not as easy as you say it. I remember I almost got swallowed up by the ground." He flit a glance at his feet. "Even now..."

Jayden gave him a pat on the shoulder. "We'll grab you. Don't worry."

The party quietened as Eira walked to them.

"Hey girl, you alright?"

Eira sighed. "Fine now. That was scary."

"I can imagine. You should join us for Macca celebration."

"More like, Macca comfort."

Eira shook her head. "Thanks, but I think I'm gonna go home. I'm exhausted."

"That's the aftermath of excess powers," Skyler landed a comforting hand on her shoulder, "text me when you get home."

"How are you getting home?" Jason asked.

"The bus. I can't drive."

When she looked up, she noticed the expression on their faces.

She chuckled. "I guess I'm the only one."

"Your Ryder qualification will eventually force you to get a driver's license." Skyler explained, grinning.

The party bid their farewells and turned their backs to walk a different direction. As Eira padded out of view, Jason's steps slowed to a stop.

"Guys, actually, I gotta head home."

"Awe, how come?"

Jason shoved his thumbs into his back pocket. "I'm feeling tired. I've also got an assignment."

"You took some pretty nasty hits. Probably wise to go home and heal." Nick looked at the others and they all bobbed their heads.

"See you guys around!"

"Remember soccer Monday!

"Okay, alright."

Jason stood, his fingers tapping impatiently against his pockets. As they turned the corner, he quickly spun and ran.