Choking Vines

Eira's stomach churned, her breathing was uneven and short

Eira's stomach churned, her breathing was uneven and short. With trembling hands, she pushed open the ajar door.

The house was deadly quiet. A dining chair was knocked off, a glass jar shattered on the floor.

"Where are your parents?"

"They should be at my aunt's house by now." Eira breathed, unsteady.

She swallowed and shuffled a step.

"Wait," Jason's voice stopped her. "Best if I go inside first."

Eira nodded dully and trailed him.

She clicked the door close quietly, leaving it unlocked. She'll not block a potential escape route.

The two were nimble, slinking across the shadows; becoming the shadows themselves.

Eira flicked up her glance, there was no one in the hallway. She gave a scan to the kitchen. The door was closed. She looked back.

Jason was creeping upstairs, his footsteps as light as a stalking feline.

Eira waited a moment, halting her breath. She could hear Jason's quiver of a breath, otherwise, all was silent. If she was correct, there was no one downstairs.

She inhaled and went upstairs.

Jason was giving a cautious gaze over the handrail when she advanced. He alertly flicked his head to her direction and relaxed when he recognised her.

They moved again. Jason tested his footing. The floorboard creaked. Eira observed and sidestepped. The floorboard was silent.

Jason reached the first room. Her parents' room.

Jason gave a nod and Eira mimicked.

Her hand reached slowly for the door handle. A quick turn and a push, Jason entered the room first. Eira gave a peek over his shoulder.

He briefly checked the room. It was neat and just the way her parents would have left it.

Eira shook her head and Jason gestured. They retreated.

They passed the bookshelf in the hallway. Jason indicated with his two fingers. His shoulders tense, he watched Eira with clenched jaws.

Her room.

Eira exhaled a shaky breath. If the other rooms were empty, then it was possible that the enemy might be in her room.

She grabbed the handle, pressing it down to the limit.

She watched Jason bob his head and forced the door wide open.

Jason stormed in, arms raised, eyes moving quickly. He spotted his target but it was too late.

The arm of a vine coiled around his wrist with a snap. Jason let out a surprised yelp when it pulled him forwards.

"Jason!"