Gataria

Jason's mind wandered in the clouds. He held a light grip on Eira's arm, helping her limp to Ms. Kate's office. She smelt faintly of roses. Occasionally, he watched as she tucked a strand of loose hair behind her ears.

When they reached Ms. Kate's office, Jason knocked three times in the same loudness and pace.

In the seconds of silence, Jason switched positions and held her arm across his shoulder. He had felt her gait getting sloppy.

"Won't be long. We just need to get this over with before it gets out of control."

"I see." She said, her voice silvery.

"Come in."

Jason turned the knob. The door creaked open, Ms. Kate stood from her chair and watched the two come in. Her green eyes held a softness, her short curls were loosely tied back. She clasped her hand in front of her, her brows furrowed in concern when she spotted Eira's leg.

"Jason, you should've healed her first."

"I did, only a little bit though." Jason helped Eira to a seat. "From the looks of it, it needs to be cleaned first."

"I understand. I'm glad you acted promptly." Ms. Kate's gaze landed on Eira. Eira stiffened. "I'm Ms. Kate. You must be Eira."

"Did you know all along that I was..."

She shook her head, her glance landed on Jason. Eira nodded in understanding.

Well, he's quick to poke the news free.

"I'm sorry. Everything must be so hectic for you, but I'm afraid you have to sit through my talk."

Eira nodded, her lie rolled out of her mouth naturally. "I'm alright."

Ms. Kate nodded and turned her focus back to Jason. "Some of the gate guardians have been killed and others injured to defend it."

Jason's iris reddened. "Is that why the beasts got through?"

Ms. Kate nodded. "We need all the Ryders to be ready. This matters the whole society's power and protection."

"What do you need me to do?"

"All Ryders in the field must be alert in case of human detection. At the same time, we need to have more extensive training and more qualified Ryders. You and your team must get together and work things out. The other Ryder teams will do the same."

"Alright." Jason paused when he noticed Ms. Kate's shifted gaze. "Eira's new. She has a lot to learn."

Sounds like someone doesn't want me to be involved. For some reason, the more Jason didn't want her to be involved, the more Eira was going to go against the currents. It had been forever, a bit too long, for someone who should be a Ryder to be excluded out of the circle.

Today, she proved herself. Look at how she battled those monsters! Look at how she saved Jess! She was on the roll, Eira thought to herself.

I just need the appropriate training. I'll never get there if I'm not involved. I'll forever be an outsider.

"Hm..." Ms. Kate observed her quietly, considering. Eira's eyes brightened in hope.

Finally, Ms. Kate bobbed her head. "I'll send someone to have a crash course with you on the Ryder community. There isn't much time and an inexperienced Ryder in an unstable time like this is a bad idea. The dark forces are entering the human world. I doubt Eira would be able to avoid them all the time."

"I want to be able to defend..." Eira paused, "I want to be able to defend my family, at least. I don't want people I care about getting hurt when I know I have the ability to do something."