Survive

Jess' fingers were cold and rigid

A woman, rather short-figured, placed a pot in front of her. Her face shielded by a black mask they all wore.

"Grow something," she muttered coldly.

Jess didn't want to take any chances, her fear suppressing her in her chest. With shaking hands, she reached forward. The power inside her felt weak, a new life without sun, water or air. She inhaled sharply, withdrawing her powers.

"What's the problem here?"

Jess looked up, her shock evident. Her netball partner: wing defence and goal defence, working together to defend the goal-keep. Except now, she seemed to be against her. There was an eerie sensation, and it came off her in waves.

"Eden?" Jess' voice hid hope, edged with uncertainty. Eden shouldn't be here. Why was she here?

"She won't use her powers," the short woman replied.

Eden stepped out into the light and Jess became certain. The high cheekbones and slim neck that she once envied, she was the Eden she knew.

"Why are you here?"

Eden pushed the pot forward. "I work for them. Do as you are told."

"Eden-"

"I said now!"

Jess shrunk. She had never heard Eden in that voice before. It was always cheerful and energetic. The Eden she remembered was the girl who told her jokes in English class, who did the best sneaky passes and defences in netball.

Jess looked back at the pot and reached out. She could sense the seedless wet soil, it was up to her to grow a seed herself. She knew she could do it, but for some reason, her powers were reluctant.

"Are you deaf? I said do it!"

"I can't!"

Eden came over, locking her grip on Jess' wrist and threw her closer to the table. The ceiling light swung above Jess, creating a flash by her eyes.

In the distance, she could hear Stanley's grunts and groans. He was being beaten up for whatever he had just tried in their cell. I need to cross the barrier. Apparently he did, and now, they were here.

Uncontrollably, tears fell from her eyes.

"If you don't, then you have proven useless," Eden said through her teeth.

"This is not you, Eden," Jess' damp eyes locked with Eden's hazel one's. "I know you, this is not you."

Eden stifled a laugh, tilted her head. "Don't pretend you know me. You don't. I was your friend just for this reason. I already knew who your parents were. Powerful plant manipulators who can grow life out of nothing. So... if you are the black sheep, then I'm afraid we just have to get rid of you."

Jess' breath was hitched in her throat. Her breath ragged and short. Eden let go, jerking Jess' hand away.

"Again."

Jess tried. Again, again, and again. Nothing grew. She could sense no life in there, her powers seemed to shrink back; deeper into their dens. Eden's glare was sharp and her slap was sharper.

Jess crumbled to the floor, one palm cupping her hand as she snapped her head to look at Eden in shock.

"You have proven useless. You really wasted my time," Eden kicked her at the side and Jess clenched her jaw to hold her anger.

Should I fight back? Will that escalate my death?

In the dark, Stanley felt numb. There was pain all over his body, the men dragged him liked a lifeless body. He didn't bother with walking, he needed to act like he was defeated; it was the only way they could stop hitting him. Someone bent his elbows back harder as they came to a stop.

"Wait here, I'll confirm what they want to do with him."

Resisting his pain, Stanley turned to glance at the familiar voice nearby.

"Eden, don't. Please..."

Stanley widened his eyes. A short woman stepped forward, the fire alight in her hands.

"Burn her."

Jess cried louder, her voice deafening and desperate. Her last cry of defiance and struggle echoed. Stanley looked around, his eyes searching.

Anything. Please, anything to save her.

"Stop moving!" The man grumbled.

Stanley ignored him, but he did stop moving when he found it – her last hope.

The power switch.

Stanley took one last look at Jess. She looked back, fear written in her gaze. He closed his eyes, collecting his energy.

He waited no more.

With all his might, he leapt and forced the man controlling him onto the floor. Booting the other man in the stomach, he sprinted for the lever.

His bounded hands limited him, it threw him slightly off balance but it didn't matter.

He made it.

He pulled the lever, hard, as if the lever could safe them both. But he knew...

At least she'll live.

Before the short woman could take her aim, the light went off.

Jess gasped. The sudden darkness had blinded her. She blinked, forcing her vision to adjust. She heard the familiar grunts.

Kicks and punches were thrown in the distance. A spark of purple light shined before her eyes before Stanley let out an inhuman cry.

"The lights! Turn on the lights!" Eden roared.

Someone scurried to follow her orders.

Footsteps... shuffling... Within a few seconds, it was back on like magic.

Stanley was on the ground, breathing heavily. His eyes were closed, a trail of blood marked his cheeks.

He forced his eyes open.

I h-have to see... have to... check...

At the corner of his lips, it twitched. It twitched into a smile.

Jess disappeared.

***

A/N

Did you know? I went to search up how the Netball positions worked. 😅 If it's wrong - sorry - correct me, you netball experts out there! 

Till next time!

L