Reflections

On one after-school occasion, a day when the weather dropped dramatically, Eira found herself cooped inside the heated school library after class

She was writing up her biology notes when she spotted Kayla passing by in a hurry, completely unaware of the pair of blue eyes tracing her figure.

Eira ignored her and looked back down at her notes, popping open her highlighter.

Soon, a shadow covered a part of her desk. Lifting her head up, Kayla was looking at her with a strange look.

"Hi, you're the girl who I versed during comp, remember?"

Eira nodded. Kayla said all of that in a quick and rushed manner. They introduced; Eira did not know of her name until that day.

"Have you seen Jess?"

Eira quirked a brow, "she's at netball training."

Kayla hushed her tone, "she's joining our team, if you didn't know. I heard she's your friend, would be great if you could throw me her number."

"Oh..." Eira muttered, not hiding her surprise or disappointment. She gave her the number.

"Have you seen Stanley?"

Eira shook her head. Was she the 'missing person' announcement board?

"Do you know where Jason is?"

"No," Eira's polite smile faltered, growing suspicious, "is something wrong?"

Kayla offered a smile, but Eira could still tell the urgency in her demeanour. "I just need to talk to Jason, can you let him know?"

"Yeah sure," Eira left her mouth gaping, Kayla already thanked her and sped her way out of the library before she could continue.

She relaxed back onto her chair, playing with the thumb hole of her sports gear, thinking. She took out her phone.

E: Kayla's looking for you.

Eira watched the phone for a while, her eyes flickering over his name and back down. She placed down her phone and checked the time.

Time to go, I guess.

She would see Jason during training, she thought, she would tell him then.

Eira went down the same bush-walk track. She imagined briefly what the gym looked like, Ms. Taylor and the others. It used to be her and Jason alone.

A sensation in her chest somehow indicated to her that she missed those times. The quiet and empty gym, echoing only their footsteps and breaths. The squeak of sneakers, the swish of her water, and the warmth of his flames.

She entered. Skyler was already practicing, flipping in the air.

"Skyler, again, watch your aim!"

Eira winced when she heard Ms. Taylor's critique. Skyler was getting a lot of feedback these days.

She placed down her bags and shrugged off her jacket.

Jayden was massaging his ankle.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, twisted it. Ms. Taylor told me to take a breather." Jayden offered a grin, "she wants to see us perform solo today."

They both turned when they heard Skyler let out a cry. She fell to the ground with a bang, rubbing her hip.

"Ouch!" Jayden winced.

Eira watched with a nervous knot in her chest. "Is that going to be me?"

For the past few weeks, Ms. Taylor had only worked with them on stretches and cardio, but now...

"Yeah, I mean, look at Nick." He jerked a thumb in his direction.

Nick was lying on the floor like a starfish. He raised his hand.

"Yeah, don't worry bud, we'll give you a minute." Jayden laughed.

"Eira!"

Eira jumped at the voice, she looked at Ms. Taylor. She waved her over. Skyler was trodding to them, exhausted and saturated like a street dog.

"Gotta go, wish me luck." She muttered to Jayden.

Ms. Taylor poured some water on the floor, Eira inched back.

"You're at school, walk pass the water."

Eira was about to raise her arm and command the water to shift to the side when she realised the catch. She tiptoed in empty spaces and walked across.

"That was a trick question," Ms. Taylor slanted a grin, "but in public, Ryders are expected not to use or reveal their powers. It would be a disaster if a Ryder instinctively shoots ice."

Eira nodded. She caught a flying earpiece.

Ms. Taylor tapped her ears. "Show me your shield."

Eira placed it on her ear and widened her stance. She raised her hands. The water raised from the surface and began to turn. They connected, washed against each other.

"Outer layer first, Eira!"

Eira made the water sphere surround her, protecting her. The water ran like an alive stream.

"Good! Inner layer!"

Eira bent her elbows slightly, the force cramping her arms. A thin layer detached from the waves and moved in, another layer of shield formed.

"Now remember, freeze the inner layer only!" 

Eira slowly commanded. The water still rushed outside, but the particles of the inner layer was connecting.

"Very good!"

Eira slowly opened her eyes. The frost turned and solidified, the world blocked outside, but she could feel the water moving. Her mind strained, the blue glow in her palms intensified.

She looked to the side and almost gave a fright. Soft copper eyes were staring into her furrowed one's.

His bright bark of happy laughter echoed. She could smell him, his cologne, and feel him right next to her.

Speaking of which, where was he?

His gaze shifted, red eyes peering over her shoulder. She turned around. The hooded boy was behind her, but she did not flinch. She realised why she was seeing these figures.

"Water reflects..." she whispered. Ever since she learnt to maintain water in its liquid form, the reflections had grown stronger. It was the first time she was able to see the reflections so clearly.

Suddenly, her body jerked awake. The outer layer stopped moving and the ice crackled as it solidified in place. She was trapped in an ice cage — a double ice cage.

"Remember to focus! Straining too much will freeze your outer layer too." Ms. Taylor's voice rang in her ear drum. "It's fine but... it's breakable. Having a running water on the outside will deflect any bullet or attacks easier."

"Understand, Miss." Eira breathed a sigh, her warm vapour disappearing as she lifted her gaze,  examining the ice cell she created.