Ice Cold Weather

Water

Water. Water. Water.

Everything Eira grabbed came back with nothing, and she felt hope slip away from her fingertips, as slick as waves, as tricky as sand. She plunged her hand into the icy water again. She could feel the particles moving in an unnatural way, and it was constantly changing shape.

They were trying to stop her, but she kept going. She dug at them furiously. She was mad and desperate.

Evans was standing next to her, his clothes as drenched as hers. There was nothing he could do.

"Command the water," "he said. "Do what you excel at!"

Do what I excel at?

Ice.

Eira drew her hand out of the water and stepped back, assessing the water. She felt the tremble of the particles, a vicious bite whenever she even tried to move them.

Eira clenched her jaw, inhaling deeply. She closed her eyes and reached inside her core. It was murky, she couldn't see well, but there was a dim blue light. She reached for it, cooed at it. Their attention turned like the tide.

Her eyes snapped wide. She focused intently on the particles. Raising both of her hands, putting them close together, palm facing forward, she drew the particles close.

There was a tug of protest, and it was strong. Eira clenched her jaws harder. The energy surged, pouring like a broken dam.

The particles hissed in a high pitch.

"Yes! Now, awaken his excess powers!"

Eira didn't know if that was a good idea, but she listened. She'll listen to anything if it could save Jason's life.

Eira pushed harder. The water was vicious, but so was she. She released whatever was inside her.

The murky water was turning clear and it was connecting, an opaque layer gliding across the surface.

Then, it was frozen still.

"Hold it! Hold it!" Evans warned.

Eira held it, uttering a weak groan as her arms shook from the tension.

Inside her frozen ice, looking like a mountain with sharp spikes, Eira could make out a figure and there was a red glow that grew every time she put more force.

"Keep going!"

Eira pushed again and the ice shook, not from her, but from a dangerous fire coming from within.

The ice gave off a blue light, but a sudden warmth took over. Eira couldn't hold it anymore and released it. She fell back on the floor, throwing her arms over her head to protect herself.

A warm wind washed over her, sliding through her hair and skating off her ice cold cheeks.

She let out the breath she'd been holding and lowered her arm.