A Forced Confession

Jason was nervous

Jason was nervous. There was nothing in his body language to show it, but Jason clearly knew himself: he was nervous about sitting next to Eira on the couch, he was nervous about Mrs. Riley rushing about the kitchen to be hospitable, and he was still nervous about Nick's phone a few days ago.

"I just don't want you to lose her when it's clear you want her."

Want her?

He remembered that day clearly. The nurse bay sun was warm; a soft touch to the skin. Much like Eira herself. She was the embodiment of grace, edged with pride, though not overbearing. Her blue eyes were gentle and her mind was elsewhere when Jason was healing her wound. He remembered clearly how he felt.

He didn't want her to be his choice. He didn't want her on his team. He didn't want her.

But now? He wasn't so sure anymore.

A soft nudge woke him from his thoughts. He shifted his red eyes and smiled at Eira, who looked at him expectedly.

"What's up?" He spared a sheepish glance at the kitchen. "You can tell your mum not to busy herself. I feel bad."

What came next was unexpected.

"MUM!" Jason almost lost his composure but settled with a start. "JASON FEELS GUILTY TO MAKE YOU SO BUSY!"

"Oh! You are a sweetheart," her mum popped her head from through the door, "but don't worry, just sit tight!"

As Mrs. Riley moved back into the kitchen, Jason sighed. "Well done."

"Your welcome." Eira slanted a wee smile and raised her phone for him to see.

Hey... Jess, can we talk?

"Maybe you should tell her what you want to talk about. I would be nervous if someone wrote me that."

She chuckled, "right."

Jason leaned close and watched her type.

I know u r mad that I...

"Didn't trust you?" He added, trying to be helpful.

I know u r mad that I didn't trust you.

About Skyler.

He released a short breath. He knew he should address the team about this, but he was never that great with those type of speeches. He sort of just... let it slide. Except, every time those grey eyes and blonde hair appeared in his mind, he would shudder.

I trusted her. Why can I never put faith in the right type of people?

"I've sent it."

Jason nodded. "Great."

Eira let out a short breath. "I'm not sure how I would feel if I was in Jess' position. I was her best friend, and I felt like I should've been there for her."