Cloak and Dagger

Eira resisted the urge to tap her feet against the floor

Eira resisted the urge to tap her feet against the floor. She sat in the van, watching the view outside. It was quiet, the sun was hiding behind the clouds. A gloomy and quiet day. Whatever was happening in the warehouse, she didn't know. Perhaps it was a mess. She only knew it wasn't going to be as silent as the country roads that stretched miles ahead.

Ms. Taylor sat by the laptop in the van, her Bluetooth earphones in. A girl with raven hair, by the name of Liona, had a finger under her chin, watching the status of the Ryders intently.

"The connection is weird," she muttered. She tapped the keyboard with agile fingers. "I can't get it back up. The warehouse might have internal connections, and it interfered with the signals outside."

"English please?"

"It'll be harder for the Ryders to contact us once they go deeper inside the warehouse. The connection is weaker." Liona furrowed her brows.

Eira grew unsettled, a tension in her chest. She looked outside again and suddenly, her back straightened, her eyes widened and narrowed in concentration. She stuck her head closer to the window, her forehead bumping the glass.

The long, wavy brown hair. The shuffled gait. The crossed arms and weary green eyes.

"It's Jess!" She breathed. Without waiting, she pulled open the door and sprinted to her friend. She did not scream, but her movements proved desperate. Jess spotted her immediately, her mouth agape and speechless. She opened her arms and caught Eira running into her.

"I'm so happy... so happy to see you," Eira breathed in relief. She pulled away quickly. "Let's get you to the van, quickly. We don't want people to see you. How did you get out?"

"The hooded boy. Can you believe it? He helped me!"

Eira didn't ask for more explanation. Her eyes darted from side to side. The roads were empty, so were the woods.

"He showed me a specific hallway and I could go through it with this card," she showed Eira, placing it in her hands, "and I sneaked – right there, see? By that bare tree – through the side door through the commotion," Jess' legs buckled, but Eira caught her with a grab on the arm.

"There's the van, quick."

"Eira wait," Jess' voice was tense. She eyed the van warily. "Can you trust these people?"

"T-They're Ryders. Ms. Taylor, remember?"

"Oh, oh, alright."

Eira instantly knew something was wrong, but getting into the van was better than being exposed. They quickly entered the van. Ms. Taylor took off her earphones and observed Jess up and down. "Are you hurt?"

Jess shook her head and inhaled a sharp breath. "You have to call off the mission! They're going to collapse the building!"

The van was stunned to silence.