Ryder

Ryder - noun

Ryder - noun

A registered, elemental warrior that defends the gates of Gataria.

Eira closed the guide book and sighed, smiling nostalgically. Her grandmother always knew she would need it.

Some day.

It was more of a comfort than help. Even if she had read the book over and over again, she would never get the experience she needed to become one of them.

She looked outside her window. What was the point of checking the rain? She had never experienced a bad rain before, and if she ever will, she wouldn't know how to respond to it.

Eira slipped her grandmother's book carefully under her bed and trotted downstairs.

"Mum, you're up early!"

Her mother smiled, watching her from the kitchen counter. "I have to order some dresses for the girls. They're going to perform in a week." She scooped the golden eggs on a plate. "Scrambled eggs and toast, just the way you like it."

"Thanks mum." Eira flopped down onto the chair. "What are they performing?"

"A little part of The Nutcracker. I'll get adorable ballet tutus." 

Eira chuckled. She finished her breakfast quickly and headed to school.

It was early morning. The school grounds were relatively quiet. There was always something about being there before everyone else, even the air smelt fresher.

Eira made a beeline for the library, dumping her bag in the corridor. To her, the library was worth the early wake.

As she expected, people were scarce. She padded in the direction of her favourite reading corner, surrounded by books, almost hidden from view.

There were a view occasions where the squishy couch would be taken, much to Eira's disappointment, but it'll always be hers for the morning.

She grabbed an adventure book, one she had her eyes on from a few days ago, and happily turned the corner to-

She froze.

A boy around her age occupied the couch, a space next to him just enough for Eira to squeeze in — only if she wished to. 

The boy glanced up with his dark berry eyes. He was on his phone, slightly slouched on the couch. He looked snug and handsome in his high-neck hoodie.

Eira was unable to hide her surprise, she did not expect this.

She offered a quick and polite smile.

The boy, unsmiling, eyed the space next to him. His gaze soon adverted back to his phone.

Eira realised she had hesitated a moment too long. She shuffled over, careful not to kick his ankle-crossed feet, and lowered herself onto the couch.