Against Each Other

Jason's vision was failing

Jason's vision was failing. Everything was fading. The world would blur the come clear again.

Ms. Taylor's phone was ringing but she was taking her time.

Jason uttered a faint and short moan. I fell straight into her trap.

Eira, with her other hand, covered Jason's mouth and pushed. Her eyes were the colour of darkness; hollow and empty. Tears flooded them, they tipped over the edge of her eyelids, landing and scattering on Jason's cheekbones.

You're still there, Eira...

"Yes, Flair?" Ms. Taylor said, feinting surprise. Jason threw out his hand and tried to grab Ms. Taylor, but she inched back effortlessly. "You made it to Eira's house?"

Jason's gaze was flickering. He settled with a full kick on Eira's stomach, but she was as strong as a boulder; unmoving.

Crack!

"Mhm!" Jason's eyes widened, they danced from side to side in desperation and fear. The ice behind his head was beginning to break and melt. Eira was trying to drown him.

"They probably went to the direction of the beach."

NO! Jason managed a muffled sound. He landed another kick in her stomach.

"Yes, Eira's an ice and water wielder. She needs water. Yes, yes..."

Jason connected his punch at the crook of Eira's elbows. They bent and the grip loosened. Jason threw up his leg and booted her right below her neck, tipping Eira back.

Seeing the situation, Taylor quickly hung up. Jason leaped away from Eira, but it wasn't far enough. He was coughing. He was in need of air, but the air stung his throat and his head throbbed. With a whip of Taylor's arms in the air, Jason was on the ground again.

Jason threw out his arms, the flames released itself with a roar, and Ms. Taylor fell beneath the melted ice into the water.

Was it over?

Suddenly, Ms. Taylor came out between the ripples. Black feathers shrouded her body, protecting her from the cold and the water. They fluttered in the air, light as they floated.

Ms. Taylor's eyes swirled in different colours, looking almost inhuman. Her clothing was tainted in the colour of midnight. She tried to adjust her gloves, but they were loose. She slipped them off instead, shoving them in her back pocket. She looked toward the sky. A swan, as dark as the night, the beak in the colour of dark pearl, came flying down to meet her.

"Hello, my Odile..." She greeted, rubbing the swan's chin. The swan squawked, waking Eira from her temporary slumber. She twitched, got up from the ground. Her limbs moved in weird and awkward movements.

"Don't touch her!" Jason waved his hand up. The flame swirled in the sky and the dragon opened its jaw. Ms. Taylor gestured for the swan to leave, and it flapped its wings and flew into the sky.