Darkness is My Friend

The sudden darkness ignited a small light inside Jess. There was a lurching pain that tightened her chest as the image of Eira's lifeless body floated before her eyes. The blinding snow and the crimson red blood haunted her memories like a ghost.

Is she alright?

Jess took small and quick strides into the shadows. She had no idea where she was, but at least she was away. Far away from danger. She halted in her steps and looked back.

Stanley... I'm so sorry. I abandoned you.

Quiet like a flower searching for the sun, she slipped into the nearest hallway. 

***

The hallway was lit up with a blue light; a light that she disliked very much.

She looked over her shoulder as if the chilly breeze was something that could catch her. She kept biting her lips to stop the quivering, but she couldn't stop shaking. She stumbled to a wall, leaning for support.

Calm down, calm down! You have to live! For Stanley's sake. Don't let his efforts go to waste.

Jess forced her to take deep breathes. Once she felt ready, she slowly leaned away from the wall. She was standing strong, moving even quicker now. Her figure slipped into the shadows; the blind spot for the lights.

Whenever she heard footsteps, her heart would leap and she would stick herself back to the wall. When they faded, she would continue. A tiny wallflower striving.

Footsteps. Wall. Footsteps. Wall.

Turn left, turn left, turn left...

The entrance light revealed two shadows approaching. She shuffled to the corner. Her breathing hitched in her throat, her dry fingertips folded into a fist. She didn't have time to run, they would've seen her if she did.

A silent tear rolled down her eye as the men approached. Suddenly, their chatter quietened. They had turned and disappeared. 

Jess exhaled quietly, slowly in ragged breathes. 

Perhaps walking this way isn't the best idea.

She turned around, dashing into darkness. Glancing up, the bright light blinded her.

Not a good spot to stay.

She padded through a narrow corridor. It was dark, but she liked it just fine. The corridors criss-crossed, and Jess could hear people talking. Her back slid against the wall, her palm sucked away of warmth. 

"Is everything ready?" It was a man's voice.

"Yeah, they'll be walking right into our trap," another female voice replied.

Jess' brain urged her to go to a safer place, but her legs didn't budge.

"I've go-What are you doing here?" There were three of them, and a forth person just joined.

Jess stopped breathing. The voice was familiar. It was a voice that shouldn't be here. 

"They're inside."

"We know that."

"People at ground level are playing an act. Hopefully it'll lead them upstairs," the voice continued. "Boss wants you guys to play fight for a while, then evacuate. They're going to demolish the place as soon as those Ryders penetrate the building."

"Got it."

At the end of the corridor, there was a sound that resembled of a metal dropping. Jess snapped her head towards the sound, cursing at whoever had did that.

"What was that?"

"Someone could've dropped something, no big deal." 

Jess took the hint to leave. The darkness engulfed her once again.

Hello darkness, my old friend...

Someone gripped her wrist and pulled her back. Her scream was muffled, her body shook against the person who took hold of her. In the reflection of the glass, she saw a boy. 

The boy. 

In the reflection, the boy smiled. "Got you."

***

A/N

I wonder who is that familiar voice? 🤔

L