Attacked

There was a thin layer of snow outside Jess' house and as Eira leaned her head against the window, a subtle frown on her face and a remote look over her eyes, she wondered how the scouting went – probably thrilling and she was missing all of it

"I thought you'd be going."

She didn't move her head, she knew it was Jess. A cushion was thrown onto her lap, she grabbed it and hugged it, shifting her head so it leaned against the wall behind her.

"I thought you would go with too." Eira's blue eyes met a pair of green one's.

Jess sighed. "Yeah, but Ms. Taylor and Mr. Flair assessed me and said I wasn't experienced enough. Sucks to be me."

"That's not true." Eira said, then slyly adding, "only the last bit."

Jess knocked her with her cushion. "I know I suck at my powers, but you started like that!"

"Yeah," Eira giggled, "guess you're just stuck with me then."

"And my brother upstairs, but..." Jess shrugged, sipping on her tea.

"Ladies, I think you forgot someone else."

Jess almost choked on her tea, while Eira was already leaping off the window seat and in battle stance. Except, once she was standing with her arms raised and her powers tingling in her fingers did she realise they were in serious trouble.

I can't face Lukas Black alone!

Luke wore his hood. He stood calmly, watching her, watching Jess. Jess shuffled next to Eira.

"What's going on?" She said in bewilderment.

Whatever. I can and I will face him alone.

Eira trained her eyes on the black magic, they danced in the air like waves on the ocean. She knew Luke could strike at any moment.

One dust limb snaked its way to Eira's glowing palms. Her blue eyes shifted, turning a shade of indigo. Pointing with her index and middle fingers closed together, the dust particles crashed and froze. It fell to the floor and shattered like glass.

Eira pushed Jess behind her and they inched into a corner. She raised her arms wide like an eagle, her brows furrowed. Her throat was tight, yet she still spoke, "What do you want?"

"I want Jess."

"M-me?" Jess' voice quivered.

"You won't get her, Lukas. Leave now. I'm warning you."

The black magic extended and filled the room, it floated in the air in some sparkling wonder.

Eira tensed, "get too close and you'll..."

"I'll what?"

Eira cursed inwardly. I didn't think that through.

Luke raised his arm towards the stairs and the dust instantly turned and moved.