The Phoenix and The Dragon

Jason and the team had waited outside the gym

This was a different gym went to. Too much people going to an abandoned bush-walk would raise suspicions, instead, they held the competition under the name of "volleyball".

Jason flicked his wrist and checked the time.

"We should head in."

"Wait just a minute."

"For who?"

"For Eira!"

Skyler jabbed Jayden at the side.

Jason narrowed his eyes but dispelled his suspicions. "Eira's not coming."

"Oh, then who's that?"

Jason turned around and almost jumped in fright.

"Eira! What are you..."

"Doing here?" Eira grinned confidently, her eyes sparkled and her cheeks flushed in athletic shine. "I'm here to join the comp."

Jason took in her fresh appearance. When he came to, he shook his head. "No, you're not. You aren't even..."

His voice faded as his focus adverted to the other three standing next to him.

Jayden was looking at the sky, Skyler was beaming at Eira and Nick examined his shoes with his hands tucked in his pockets.

"I see how it is," Jason clenched his jaw, "you all went against my orders."

With a sly smirk, Jayden challenged, "does that mean you went against Ms. Kate's for not training Eira and refusing to let her be here?"

"Yeah, we haven't gotten wind from Ms. Kate about any of that, so..." Skyler gestured with both hands. "We did our part by welcoming the new member to our team."

In the moment of silence, Eira balled her fists, scared of Jason's adamant refusal.

Eventually, Jason stifled a laugh. "Give me a moment. I'll brief Eira on the basics."

Jayden's storm blue eyes brightened. He nudged Skyler in the joy of success and both of them made a beeline for the gym, not forgetting to gesture victoriously at Eira.

Eira beamed back, nodding at Nick as he followed behind.

When she turned her attention back to Jason, his expression fell.

"I thought we talked about this."

"I'm not one to give up easily." Eira took a step forward, her chin up. "I'm ready. I dressed the part and I worked the part."

Jason watched her with an expression she couldn't read.

"Do you know what you signed up for?"

"I'm not here to win. I'm here to get the experience."