The Girl Who Makes him Smile More

There was a light shade of blue in the sky

Eira was eating lunch with Jess, sharing their popcorn and chips while munching on their sandwiches and sipping on their hot chocolate.

The weather grew cold, but the school's policy disallow any students to stay indoors for "safety concerns". So, Eira and Jess were left to fend for themselves against the cold weather.

They sat by the edge of a classroom, where the roof cover extended generously to shelter them, and the angle blocked most of the cold breeze.

"I feel like a homeless cat under a bridge." Jess warily eyed the sky, the clouds had gathered. "Do you think it'll be bad rain?"

Eira was slightly surprised when she heard Jess use the new term she had picked up. "I'm not sure. I hope not."

The girls shivered as a cold breeze slithered. Eira brought the hot chocolate to her lips, sipping carefully. She tugged her free hand into her bag and brought out some coins.

"Thanks," the coins fell into Jess' hands, "you know how hot chocolate is a life saver on these days."

Jess laughed, "Yeah, even if they taste like ants."

They both chuckled, staring at their cup before taking another sip.

"Have you filled out which university you want to go to?" Eira asked. During her morning classes, her teacher had required them to think about potential paths in the future. Whether it is going to apprenticeship schools, taking a gap year or going to university... it was at least an idea to get them thinking.

"Hm, you know I've always wanted to go to Brunwood University. It is the best around here. I'm not sure what I want to do though?" Jess shrugged. "By the way, what do I do about my Ryders' identity?"

"Have you told your parents?"

"Nope."

"I haven't told my mum either. God knows what will happen when she finds out." Eira sighed, "I love my mum and she wants to protect me at all costs, but... sometimes I think. Am I even making my choices on my own, or am I always making choices based on what my parents want?"

"Definitely making choices on your own."

Eira's heart leapt.

"And, you two look more like penguins huddled against a blizzard."

Eira looked at Jason. She personally was struck with horror that he was here, wearing his black high-neck sweater, denim jacket, black trousers, and flashy white sneakers. He held his bag strap and carried an iPad in his other free hand.

While, for Eira, she and Jess were curled up close to each other. Eira had a wooly thick hoodie, but her hood was on and she looked oddly like a humongous teddy bear. Jess wore her sweater and puffy vest, her shoulders hunched as she held onto her cup of hot chocolate like it was her life.