Driving in the Moonlight

Jason eyed the familiar three faces carefully, yet a smirk had formed around his lips

Jason eyed the familiar three faces carefully, yet a smirk had formed around his lips. He relaxed on the chair he was held too.

"What is this? A kidnapping?"

"We don't want to do this, but you're too slippery, Jason. After we get some answers, we'll let you go."

The ropes rubbed into his wrist painfully. It was clear to all of them that he could burn through them, but Jason played on the safe side. He'll not challenge them yet.

Kayla's eyes bore into his, bending down to maintain eye level. "Where's Stanley?"

Jason remembered Eira's text. In fact, he was reading it when he was ambushed by Stanley's teammates.

He shook his head, "How should I know?"

"It was you who threw the job to him-"

"Correction. Ms. Kate did." Jason closed his eyes in disbelief. "You are the worst detectives. The question should be aimed at Mr. Flair."

"All Mr. Flair did was ask him to go to the gates." Justin muttered next to him, the grip on his shoulder tightened. "Do you have anything to do with that?"

"We all know you have a grudge against cap." Davis made the next comment. Arms-crossed, he looked at Kayla. "So... can I punch him now?"

Kayla glared and forced her eyes back onto Jason when he spoke.

"How long has he been missing?"

"Two days."

Jason let his fire sizzle through the fibre. The rope flopped to the floor, he rubbed his wrist as the guys around him tensed. "Easy, boys. Give me the reports from the investigation first."

"You want to investigate the gates? Ms. Kate gave it to us though?"

"You've done your job," Jason bargained, a sly twinkle in his eye, "all you need is send me a copy of that report."

Kayla considered it. "And Stanley?"

"Being completely honest, I don't know where he is, but I can help you figure it out." Jason tilted his head. Kayla's lips thinned, she gave a glimpse at the guys and then nodded.

"Fine by me."

***

The moon rose glowing, the clouds could not shield the brightness. Eira often looked up, as she was doing on that night, and thought about the holes on the moon. The ears, the body and face... it looked like a hare. Her glance shifted down to the desk. It was clean, the surface shiny and the books piled neatly in a square at the side. She clicked her pen and watched that blue plastic card on her table with a happy smile. The girl framed in a picture on the card stared back at her, unsmiling.

She turned when there was a knock on the door and with a mumble, the visitor entered her room.

"Hi dad."