The royal court

I was finally decked up with a small streak of eyeliner and a beautiful rose placed in the side of my hair. The refreshing fragrance of flowers surrounded me as I dabbed some rose water onto my odhni (traditional scarf). I looked at myself in the mirror and blushed. Suddenly there was a knock on the door. I nodded to my curtain maid to draw the curtains to the side and reveal who was at the door. I was sitting in a marble island block surrounded by water in which rose petals floated. The curtains drew and a guard was at the door with a message.
"Princess, you're being called to the court."
"You may go," I checked myself again and patted down my hair. I had to look good.
My two maids walked behind me as I made my way through the entrance of the Rajsabha (royal court). My seat was just below the array of steps that led to the main throne where my father sat. I sat right below. The sound of a conch shell sounded which was a signal to stand up.
"RAJA BINDUSAR ARA HE HE!" (King B is arriving) A messenger cried and a tall figure of an elderly man appeared at the entrance. I smiled and as my father went up to him to embrace him, I looked around desperately to see if Ashok was behind him. No one came. My smile faded. Maybe he was just coming a bit later. Ashok always went with his father to different countries. Why wasn't he here?