Confrontation

As I tossed and turned in my bed, wondering who the woman on the balcony was, the maid woke both of us up and summoned us to the court for a meeting.

"What is this for now?" Ashok rolled his eyes and we walked hurriedly to the royal court.

The whole family was gathered with Samrat sitting on the high throne above the steps.

Maharani Charumitra seemed to have her hair loose and scattered, other than her usual self; well prepared and ethereal.

"Samrat! I've almost just been attacked!" She cried, tears slipping down her cheeks.

I stared at her in doubt.

"When? And what kind of attack Maharani?" I asked her curiously.

She looked at me with a hard look.

"Well..." she was just about to begin when she closed her mouth slowly and glanced at me again. "Why do you need to know so much Rajkumari?" She asked in her sweetest voice possible.

"Maharani it is important to know what exactly happened, to help solve the issue."

I had to be careful with my words.

Samrat had a worried frown on his face while I saw Siyamak scowling with Raj maata Helena at the pillar near the side.

She breathed and started her clumsy, pathetic moaning again.

"There was a person who was holding a sword and who had come into my bedroom!"

"In your bedroom or just near?" I interrogated her again, thinning my eyebrows.

Everyone's face fell at my sharp questions.

"How does that matter when the point is that there was someone who was coming for me? Anyway - back to the scene: there was a person in my balcony who climbed up a rope and...."

She stopped, realizing what she had said.

"A ROPE?" Ashok stared at her in disbelief.

"Maharani if you want to say something then please ensure it is credible." Samrat said after a long time of silence.

"So what I am saying is unbelievable? Are you saying that I'm making all this up!?"

"No Maharani, just...."

"I even have proof - I even got a sword and remember giving the thief a deep wound on their left arm."

She paused abruptly, realizing what she had said.

My face shot right up at her and I felt my eyes bulging out. I suddenly felt the wound on my left arm burning through the heat of embarrassment.

The unknown woman who was anonymous to me till now revealed herself.

So Maharani was the woman who was on the balcony a few hours ago! My feet went numb.

Why would she give anyone anything in a red velvet box, like it's a reward for someone for doing her work?

As soon as she said this, I stiffened up and slowly moved my cloth that fell on my shoulder, downwards so it just about covered the wound.

Everyone stared at her in disbelief once more.

"All this happened and no-one knew till now???" Ashok angered up.

I gulped and looked concerned.

"Where were all the guards and your 'so called security and armaments' Father?" Ashok cringed his eyes and pointed towards the door.

Maharani raised one eyebrow suspiciously.

"Kaurvaki, where did you go when you told me you were going somewhere in the evening?" She asked me.

I felt my fingers twisting and turning around.

"I went to the courtyard."

"Why?" She raised her voice.

Everyone was stunned at this two-way interrogation between us.

Everyone awaited for my answer.

"Anyways, what's done is done - how does it matter now, Maharani?" Ashok replied cunningly.

I could almost sense her nose twitching in fury and she's probably lifting those eyebrows inside her right now.

"It's not safe for the family to stay here, at least during this time of an unsafe environment. The women and kids will have to move temporarily."

"What! But - what about my friends!" Dhrupad cried.

"What about the royal guests?"

"What about Sushim's archery practice?!" Everyone stared at Maharani in a dull fashion.

"She has a point - why do we all have to leave just for this?" Rani Subhrasi made herself visible from the back.

This whole family debate was going on while a thousand things flowed in my mind like a closed circuit, not allowing any sense to come in.

Why on earth would Maharani Charumitra want to give her necklace to a guard?

Maybe it was time to tell Ashok.... but - if he gets involved I know the matter will reach Maharani in a few days.

Whatever I had to do, I had to do it alone.

"So it's decided - the queens and children shall proceed to the fort of Maharaj Jagathnath tomorrow in the morning. Ashok, Sushim and I shall stay here with the guards and Acharya."

I hesitantly spoke up: "Samrat, if all of us stay here, it'll be easier to keep an eye on the thief and anyways - we will keep together."

If I wasn't in this palace, then half of this theft would not be clear.

"Yes Samrat, Kaurvaki is right - we should stay here, it is our dutiful responsibility as the queens of the household to support the men." Maharani said sweetly. Somehow her tone did not convince me.

Why did she want to stay here? So she could give someone else something? She was lying; I could tell by her face.