The surprise

That's the royal court^

We sat back down as my father sat in his seat. I wondered what this sudden meeting was all about. "Greetings to all,"
The whole court greeted him.
"You may be all thinking what this sudden gathering is all about, and why my dear long lost friend Raja Bindusar is here."
I was confused; they were enemies five months ago.
"We will be offering Raja Bindusar a pleasant stay in our kingdom as a small tribute to the forever finished enmity between Maghad and Kaling. This is a celebration to announce that that there shall be no more wars between these two countries. There shall be peace and friendliness and forever lasting relationships."
I felt like jumping with glee. If there was no enmity that means her father would want to get her married to Ashok. She felt like she was in the sky, free like birds and about to witness freedom after a long time. She couldn't wait for her father to say the next few lines.
"Also, I would also like to announce that on this festive occasion, there shall be another celebration." The court began whispering and gossiping, wondering what it could be.
"Silence!" At once, they settled.
"As you may know, my daughter Kaurvaki is of age to get married. Which is why Bindusar is present today." The court began gossiping again. I couldn't stop blushing and waited for him to announce the marriage.
"I have fixed her alliance with much thought and advice from Bindusar, to the son of Raja Ruhadev, Prince Dhiraj."
My ears went numb. What had I just heard. My world had been turned upside down. My father walked upto me and beckoned a teen boy to come. The boy was tall and slim, his skin glowing with happiness. He wore a round turban around his head, which was embroidered with elaborate details. "Kaurvaki, this is Prince Dhiraj. I have decided for you to get engaged today."
I didn't know what to say; all I could do is watch and follow my father. After all, women did not have a say. I was far from any ordinary girl. I fought with men to rescue my father and I'm far from the stereotypical view of women. This time, I couldn't say it. I couldn't admit my rejection for this unknown man I was marrying. He picked up a ring from a decorated platter and my father brought my hand up towards him.