A month later

An intense gush of wind blew away the loose strands dangling down my face, behind my head. My eyes reflected an image of the playful moon which shimmered translucently in the early evening sky.

It really was a privilege to be surrounded by nature during a beautiful time of day; alone.
However being alone, sleeping alone with no one beside me, not having anyone to talk to was slightly depressing. Ashok hadn't seen me for a month.

I turned round, realizing I had work to do and I stopped abruptly at the sight of Maharani entering my room.

"Here's a glass of milk, its helpful for the child." She placed it on my side table.

"Do drink it." She turned back around to specially say this.

I watched her go and walked towards the glass.
Something didn't feel right.

I left it as it was, waiting for it to odor.

I couldn't take any more chances, not that my child was with me now.

"Princess?" A knock on the door made me jump out of my thoughts.

"Yes?" A servant was at the door.

The maids vanished behind the curtains and drew back the first layer. The translucent layer just about revealed the shape of a messenger.

"Princess, a message has been sent from Rani Dharma, saying there is a special welcoming ceremony for Prince Ashok as he is coming back from a prestigious competition. You should expect to see him tonight at the ceremony. You should be ready for it. A large feast has been arranged for the kingdom."

I got up from the foot of my bed and I almost pinched myself to see if it was a dream.

Ashok would be coming back after a month! I had so much to do! I needed to get out my jewelry, my ornaments, my scents, my clothes....

The list was endless and my hands hovered around until I cringed at how gullible I was being.

"Oh Kaurvaki." I muttered to myself.

My smile couldn't seem to disappear from the corners of my mouth and every so often, I found myself letting out giggles from my loose lips.

I looked at my gleaming face in the mirror and sighed.

I would finally meet him. Alone.

I turned to go towards my cupboard when I glanced at the glass of milk again.

I ignored it and got out my clothes which I was to wear that evening.

Suddenly, I bumped into Rani Dharma.

"Ouch!" I squealed.

"Are you okay?" Rani Dharma looked me up and down in worry.

"Yes yes, I'm fine." I laughed.

"Hmm, someone seems excited." She smiled.

"I'm meeting him after such a long time." I sighed.

"Yes. It must be a splendid feeling indeed. Anyways - get ready soon and I'll meet you down at the dining court where the feast will be served as soon as Ashok comes."