Re-united with the enemy

A heavily embroidered palanquin carried by six servants arrived and was placed at the grand entrance of the sky scraping palace of Magadh. Columns of villagers stood alongside the pathway decorated with orange and yellow flower petals and were tossing some more over the palanquin which was carrying a princess.

A large conch shell was blown and a fair foot, on which a dainty anklet was worn, stepped out   gently onto the path.

I tried to take glimpses of this royal beauty from where I was standing with a welcoming platter in my hands, but I was like a sardine in a can, therefore could not quite see clearly yet.

Her trailing blue and pink lehenga shimmered in the summer sun and her hazel hair blew in the light breezes. Jewelry decked up each and every strand and her long earrings dangled from the top of her ear till they touched on her shoulders.

The elegant princess made her way to the welcoming family of Magadh's ruler, Samrat Bindusar.

"Come, my dear." Samrat smiled gently.

Just then, I saw the face. A fair innocence reflecting off it; a gleam in her eyes which revealed all her ambitions; with a slight sorrow that pricked her pupils.

Woah. She was beautiful.

I spectate her as she gracefully put her palms together and greeted the elders of the family, touching each of their feet.

A smile drew up on my face; I could see why she was Ashok's friend.

She came vertically in front me and our eyes made contact.

She blinked a few times, maybe because she didn't know me.

Ashok came and stood beside me.

Her gaze suddenly moved from me to Ashok, and this time she seemed lost in Ashok's eyes.

Ashok gazed at her and smiled as he put a hand on her shoulder. She broke out of her trance and they smiled.

"Greetings...." I began nervously.
"I'm Kaurvaki."

"Rajkumari Kaurvaki? From Kalinga?" Ahankara suddenly felt a connection.

"Yes, how do you know?" I replied.

"Who doesn't know Kaling? The country of wealth and prosperity flying in its air." She responded.

We laughed wittingly and I suddenly felt like I had known her for ages, although it had been a few minutes.

"Rajkumari, please come inside - Kaurvaki, lead her to the guest room."

I nodded and me and Ahankara went through the corridors.

Suddenly, Sushim bumped into us.

A distraught expression suddenly formed on Ahankara's face. What was wrong?

"Ahankara? AHANKARA?" I asked her a few times but she seemed lost.

She jumped a little and gulped.

"Please come, Rajkumari... Ahankara....." Sushim was carrying a vessel filled with liquor.

His voice was shaky and his eyes were red.

I felt scared watching him in this situation, as he was under no control.

"Come Ahankara....." I clutched her wrist.

Ahankara and I walked forwards, leaving Sushim standing idle in the middle of the passage. Ahankara didn't break eye contact with him as we proceeded forward.

The guest room was cleaned thoroughly and a fresh feeling wiped away the memory of Sushim.

Ahankara stood frozen.

"Ahankara, is there anything you would like to tell me?"

"Oh... excuse me, I just - " she laughed it off and acted carefree.

While she smiled, I frowned at her. Something wasn't right.

Maybe it was something between her and Sushim - but what?

Surely it can't be anything that serious.

I had to find out what's wrong....