Sprawling death

I was staring out of the window when I heard a slight grunting noise coming from behind me.

I turned round to see what it was and to my surprise, Ahankara had gained consciousness and was narrowing her eyes amidst the brightly lit room with natural candlelight.

I sat beside her, quickly pouring a glass of water and pressing it to her lips.

She hesitated and denied it.

I pushed it deeper, more firmly and this time she agreed, sipping it obediently.

She coughed after a while and I took the vessel out of her mouth.

I got up to go as her awakened face gave me reassurance, but I felt a tight grip around my wrist.

I looked back unsurely.

Ahankara was sitting up in bed, looking rather pale but stared at me solemnly through her wide eyes.

I broke eye contact and came nearer the bed, trying to avoid her gaze.

"Thanks." She said, barely above a whisper.

I smiled for a nano second and returned back to my stern face, turning to go.

"I mean it." She grabbed my wrist again.

This time, I turned round completely, facing her with confidence.

"No, count it as a favour." I replied quietly, resuming my work of crushing some herbs and placing them in a bowl.

"How can I? After all, you're family."

I looked up, stopping my movements.

"Yes of course, belonging to the same husband indeed makes us 'family' doesn't it? I started.

All she did was smile faintly.

"Yes. It does. Our heart beats for the same person. We have something in common."

I smirked sarcastically and got back to work.

"You have permission to stay here until you feel better. Take advantage of the family environment, who knows whether you'll receive it again or not." I taunted.

She lowered her gaze and stared at her weak hands.

"I'm spending time with my family anyway. Even at this second."

I got up surprisingly.

"You count me as your family don't you? Yeah? Well, the truth is bitter and - I'm afraid you have no-one here except for Ashok. They're after you, Ahankara. They won't leave you in peace. Rani Dharma, the most kindest woman. She isn't on your side. She can't defend you. You're exposed." I blurted out, my voice shaking uncontrollably.

She began calmly. "It's not about sides. It's about the feelings we have towards ea...."

"What feelings? Feelings that don't even matter?" I shouted in a high pitched voice.

She stared at me in sorrow.

I calmed down slightly, exhaling deeply.