S1E8: Living Ain't Simple Pt. 2/3

'Hey girl, open the walls. Play with your dolls. We'll be a perfect family...'

- Melanie Martinez 'Dollhouse'

-

Everyone was so drunk that they literally dropped like flies one by one on the sand. Mickey managed to make it to the house and cuddle up on the couch next to Jace who had crawled onto Happy's lap. I had only had a few shots and one large margarita but my mind was clear and I didn't feel anything going fuzzy and my tongue worked perfectly fine.

"I see you managed to avoid the knockout," Jax asked as he held a beer in hand.

I shrugged as I sat down on the loveseat, removing my sandals and tucking my feet under me.

"What happened? Alex told me how he finished the guy off but are you okay?"

"Yeah. Why do you ask?"

"You just have been not your usual self. I saw you kissing on some chick. That was sexy as hell but I know that's not you."

I shook my head. Of course, Jax was the most observant guy that I had dealt with. He never got possessive though like Jason or the others but he made me know he was looking out for me whether I liked it or not.

"She's an old friend. I take dares very seriously," my eyes were starting to droop. I was tipsy but if I drunk one more beer, I'd be out on the floor passed the fuck out. "Besides, I'm having fun. If I really was upset about any of it then I'd be locked away in a room away from all of it."

"Come on," Jax extended a hand and I took it with a confused look. He wrapped his arms around me and carried me out the back sliding doors down to the beach. I glanced around at all the partygoers passed out and some still trying to keep their own little party going by passing a blunt or passing a bottle.

When he put me down, I let the feeling of the slick sand seep between my toes. The air around me made me breathe a little easier and my nausea from earlier faded.

"Back in California, I'm not going to get much of this time to relax or see you as much as you'd like. So I wanted to spend the night with you and talk. Just talk...."

My eyes widened and then I was reminded of everything.

Jax, my mom, Jason, Alex, all of the people who were right here and knew of the problems I had been keeping inside.

"The water," I sniffled trying to hold back the tears that threatened to spill over. "I want to feel the water."

"Piggy back?"

I jumped on Jax's back and he carried me further over to the water where we let the waves lap at our skin. It's coolness made me shiver a little but it soon fit to our body temperature as we waded out deeper. He wrapped his arm around my waist and I wrapped my legs around his.

"Why did you run from me?"

"I didn't run from you. I ran to my problems instead of running away from them."

"Same thing."

"No, it's not. You happened to be in a place where I needed to leave. I just sometimes think it's better if I left Charming and didn't return. Maybe all of this wouldn't have happened," I spoke against Jax's neck as we waded in the water.