iii. octavia's trouble

"Are you hearing me, Lydia?"

The red-haired turned to her best friend with a yawn, "I'm sorry, I didn't sleep really well."

"I know, you look awful," Octavia said, "but don't forget we still have Algebra."

"I know." Lydia sighed.

Jones realized when Octavia's attention dispersed to another person. Ryan was on the field, the Lacrosse practice was over, and he was smiling at her best friend, with that kind of smile that attracts his prey and never fails, that kind of smile.

"Well, love is calling me." Octavia got up.

Lydia looked at her in shock, "We're calling it love, really?"

"It's a way of saying it, don't worry, Lyds. I'm fine. "Cooper smiled at her, "Oh and I'm going to miss Algebra, sorry."

"Wait, O -."

But it was too late, Octavia was already walking down the bench, too far away to hear Lydia. She was just trying to help her best friend, but she seemed to make the task much more complicated, after all when someone doesn't want help there isn't much that we can do.

However, Lydia sat down and opened the notebook quickly when she arrived at Algebra, didn't want to dwell on the thing with Octavia. And the subject they were working at the moment was complex and she didn't want to miss a thing.

"Does anyone know where Ms. Cooper is?" Ms. Williams looked over at the class.

The red-haired sighed, "She was not feeling well and went home."

"Oh ok. So let's start!"

Lydia didn't feel good lying for Octavia, but there wasn't other choice, her grades weren't brilliant and missing class wasn't going to help the teachers' decision. Mr. Styles's words were stuck in her head, but the redhead couldn't really stop it, helping was in her blood.

"The linear system in material form is-" And Ms. Williams wrote something on the board, "Let us then consider the augmented matrix and the consequent Gauss elimination method. And so we get here. "

Everyone looked at the system like a donkey looks at a palace. Lydia sometimes didn't realize how she was friends with such disinterested people, but she quickly remembered they were good people. At least most of the time.

"Any questions?" The teacher asked with a smile.

"Yes! Ah, everything. " Kevin laughed.

"You're an idiot." Lydia accused.

"Ms. Jones!" Ms. Williams warned.

"Why can he be an idiot, but I can't evidence such?"

"Who do you think you are? I'm sure you're already went out with half the idiots at this school!" Kevin returned.

"Oh, was that supposed to offend me?" The girl placed her hand on her chest, "The only thing that offends me here is your face, Tran."

"Stop it!" Ms. Williams intervened, "Either you'll shut up or I'll have to send you two to the principal."

Lydia sank into the chair with her arms crossed. Kevin shut up, too, and picked up the pencil again to copy the frame system, probably. With her peripheral vision, the red-haired girl managed to catch Alec's gaze towards her.

Mathews was difficult to read, but he was certainly judging her.

Unlike Lydia, Alec thanked that Algebra was the last class of the day. He packed up his things calmly, after all he wasn't in a hurry, Lily wouldn't come to pick him up for at least five more minutes. She was always late.