THIRTY ONE: Goodbye

It wasn't even ten in the morning when Alexander left the yellow house, had kissed Lydia's soft lips and that had been his goodbye. He hoped this was his accomplished as a hero, because leaving her had undoubtedly been the most difficult thing he had ever done in all his seven centuries of existence. He hurried to the mansion, didn't want to be around when the red-haired girl woke up, didn't want to see the suffering he was responsible for, once again.

Lydia woke up bewildered, missed Alec as soon as she awoke, and quickly headed downstairs. Amelia was in the kitchen, preparing breakfast.

"Mom, did you see Alexander?"

"No darling. Why?" Her mother looked at her, smiling.

"He hm spent the night here." Lydia replied.

She went back to his room, dressed, brushed her teeth. As she prepared to grab her coat, she noticed the small card on her bedside table. A smile spread across her face. She took it in her hand, already without the bandages that once enveloped the cuts, and unfolded it.

There was only one small sentence: I'm sorry. Forget me, Lydia Jones.

Lydia ran to her cell phone, on the desk a few feet away. She called Alexander without delay. She waited, and waited, patiently. She held the little flame of hope in her chest, burning.

After three attempts, Lydia hung up the phone as tears began to threaten to fall, even with her head tilted back to keep them hidden. She let the note, still in her hand, fall into the wood of the desk. The pain started in her stomach, then spread to her chest.

Lydia sighed, "He's gone..."

Jones wasted no time, grabbed the coat she'd come for first, and ran to the front door. She didn't answered her mother's worried calls, just got in the car and started it. She can't tell how she didn't get into an accident –her hands trembled on the steering wheel, and the water in her eyes dulled them.

When she entered the dirt road, the only road leading to the Mathews' mansion, she faced a car. They both stopped, abruptly. Lydia's green eyes locked on the driver's, she would recognize those blue eyes everywhere.

Lydia slammed the car's door as she exited the car, waiting for Alexander to leave the safe place, where he cringed. She was annoyed, angry. After all, it's always easier to be angry with the person than to say that we are hurt.

"You're a coward." It was the first thing she told him.

Lily left the black car too. She foresaw what was happening, and felt worse for knowing that she was right.

Alexander didn't know what to say, he was speechless. He was sorry, no doubt he should have packed his things earlier, but he wanted to push away his own choice – buy himself some time. And so he was paying for it.

"You're leaving." She accused, again.

"You shouldn't have come, Lydia." Alec looked away.

"You're giving up on us." Jones felt her eyes burn.

"It's the right thing to do."

Lydia remembered before, when Alexander tried to drive her out with all his strength. And that was exactly what he was doing in that moment. Choosing for her, again. And that made her furious.

"Shut up!" Lydia spat at him, "I had so many reasons to give up on you! But I chose to stay! You're a fucking vampire!!"

The way she said it was what destroyed Alec. The look of suffering and disappointment. His hands shaking. Everything he wanted to avoid by leaving her alone in that bed.