TWENTY FOUR: Angel

Lydia had woken up with her mother's hurried screams, it wasn't long before she was dressed downstairs. She didn't have time to eat breakfast, which wan't a surprise, either, but her mother still  managed to find a way to make conversation on the way to school. 

"You know what they did to Ethan?" Amelia didn't take her eyes off the road.

The question made the redhead uncomfortable. Once again, she faced the same question she stumbled across whenever someone asked her about the incident with the vampire: should I tell? Of course, she would eventually enumerate the reasons why she should keep things to herself and then go on to say, anyway.

"He ran away, Mom." Lydia glanced out of the window to avoid watching the woman's expression.

"What?!"

The bump brought the redhead's head towards the dashboard, but the seatbelt caught her, probably marking her skin. Her mother had so suddenly locked the car that all this was inevitable. Before looking at Amelia, she looked at her window and noticed that they had arrived at school.

"I'm sorry dear. I-."

Jones looked at his Mom, "Fine. I just got scared. "

"How did ... how did that happen?" Amelia asked, looking for an explanation like everyone.

"Nobody knows. They think someone freed him. "Lydia told her," Ethan before being transported to the fortress had confessed to Alexander that ... more were on the way."

"More vampires?" Her mother's eyes widened.

"Yes." She nodded.

Amelia leaned her head back against the seat and closed her eyes, never taking her hands off the wheel. Then her daughter took off her own belt and put the chestnut bag on her shoulder. She turned to her mother one last time.

"I'm already late, I really have to go."

"Wait, hunny." Amelia grabbed her hand and sighed, "Are you ... ok? I know this must not be easy for you. You don't have to be strong all the time, Lydia. "

"Why does everyone keeps saying that?" Lydia frowned, offended, "I didn't die! None of the times! I'm just the one who sees and cann't do ... anything. "

"Oh, Lyds ..." Her mother swallowed, "We must not pity the dead, they are at peace. It's the livings who are not. "

The redhead turned her gaze to the roof, took a deep breath, clenched her teeth. She grunted a few times,  only to look at Amelia again.

"Maybe we deserve it."

Lydia opened the door and stepped out of the car, closed the door, and headed for school. She didn't look back, couldn't and didn't want to be reminded again that there is nothing we can do for the dead. It revolted her.

When she entered the Applied Biology room, Mr. Styles gave her a disapproving look and she only had time to murmur a small excuse before he returned to the subject. Lydia sat down in her usual spot. It wasn't until she had taken everything out of her bag that she looked at Alexander. He, of course, was already looking at her. He looked relieved, so Lydia just gave him a small smile.

"Why were you late?" Octavia whispered.

"My mother got late." The redhead shrugged.

"Are you ok?" Her best friend narrowed her eyes, worried.

"Urgh," Lydia rolled her eyes, "I want to punch everyone who asks me that question."

"Wow, calm down there, Lyds." The girl gestured, "Maybe we're just worried about you."