EIGHT: "Goodbye"

Lydia had arrived early on the Saturday at the Poors' Soup, hadn't slept at all because of her research on the Mathews in the PIP's file room. She hadn't found much, but she knew something had gone wrong with the family. There were no records of them in the last hundred years, as if they hadn't existed in the last century.

"Well, good morning, beauty." Jason woke her up.

"Good morning!" Lydia smiled at him, "So, how was the morning race?"

"Hm, good. No vampires getting in my way." He laughed.

Jones tried to forced a laugh but couldn't.

She didn't understand how her best friend could find some humor in the situation. Alexia had died, and Octavia almost had the same fate. How come people weren't scared? She didn't understand.

"Don't joke about it." Lydia swallowed.

"Yes, you're right." Jason threw the newspaper at her, "Here you go, they talk about Alexia."

Lydia read the letterhead and then the rest of the news, quickly. There were many letters, but she quickly found the most important information. The Councils along with the PIPs from each city in the country were working together to find the monster on the loose.

How ironic, Jones thought, aren't they all monsters?

"I hope they can caught him." She murmured.

"And they will. Don't worry." Jason approached, "It's gonna be ok."

"But what if they are –" Lydia swallowed, "I mean, these deaths started with the Mathews' arrival and they're vampires."

"Please, I already met Mrs. and Mr. Mathews. They may be vampires, but they're very nice." He said, "Really, Lyds. They wouldn't slaughter humans. "

"But what about –" She hesitated, "their children?"

"Lydia," Jason touched her arm, "I think you're exaggerating."

"No!" Jones jumped, "Ryan Mathews attacked my best friend, ok?"

Jason sighed and patted her elbow.

"Lyds, she probably wanted to be bitten. That isn't against the rules. She's alive, right?"

"Sorry, Jason." Lydia smiled sadly, "I'm getting paranoid."

"Hey, it's ok." He smiled back at her, "That's what best friends are for."

Best friend, that's right. After all, Lydia Jones wasn't alone.

Unlike Lydia, Alexander wanted to be alone. There were nights he would beg for it and others he just couldn't stand the silence. It was complicated.

"Tonight we have to go hunt." Lily warned her brothers.

"Please, let's not hunt in a big family party, ok?" Ryan looked at her.

"Yes we will." The blonde replied.

"But our parents aren't here. We can hunt wherever we want, whoever we want." He remembered.

Alec anticipated Lily's anger. Her eyes were tamed by a brilliant blue, and she approached Ryan with her fangs showing.

"Lily," He looked at her fearlessly, "you don't scare me. And you don't order me around. "

The blonde was ready to attack him, but Alec grabbed her waist. Ryan smiled, and turned his back on them. Lily shouted for her brother to let go, but Alexander wouldn't let a war break out inside the house.