TWENTY: Darkness

Lydia was carrying the plate with both hands, and had to open the bedroom's door with her back. It was dark inside, it seemed like her mother was still asleep, or pretending. 

"Mom?" Nothing.

Carefully and with the little light coming from the hallway, she put down the plate on the bedside table and walked to the big window, pushing away the curtains, and opening it so the fresh air could circulate. When the redhead turned around, her Mom was already looking at her.

"I made you breakfeast." Lydia pointed at the plate.

Amelia smiled, and ended up pulling it to her lap, ater sitting, still covered by the sheets that were protecting her from the cold wind. 

"Thanks, sweetie."

The redhead sat down by her mother's side.

"Did they kill him?"

"Ethan? No. They'll turn him in to PIP, probably." Lydia answered, "Or wait until the Red Council's members come, I don't know."

"Lydia..." Her Mom faced her with concern, "How did you get yourself into this mess?"

"It happened." She shrugged, "Things happen for a reason, right?"

Amelia just stared at her, not making a sound. Not saying a word, just stood still. She seemed to be digesting everything, what seemed to be going well - at least she wasn't crying. It was good.

"You used to say that." Lydia reminded her, "Dad is left for a reason, everything happens for a reason. That was what you used to say."

"I know." Amelia smiled then, for the first time that morning, "The Mathews are good people... they saved you from that... monster."

"Mom, don't call him that." She swallowed.

"Why not? This Ethan attacked you! He killed innocent people!" Her Mom yelled, "He's - !"

"Mom stop!"

Amelia looked at her daughter perplexed, confused. After, her eyes widened, they looker greener than ever, and her mouth was wide open as well; and Lydia knew she had remembered.

"Ethan." The woman repeated more for herself, and then faced the redhead, "You told me about him the other day. You said he loved me. A... vampire?"

"It's a long story" Lydia said, "for another day."

"No!" Amelia screamed at her, "I'm your mother! The secrets end here and now, Lydia! You were attacked, you could have died and you never said a word! It's over! I'm your mother and you owe me the truth!"

The redhead had never seen her Mom so angry, not even when she had arrived home completely drugged with Octavia; not even when she got a bad grade at visual arts in sixth grade, no. Amelia never raised her voiced to her, and yet she had been a great mother. 

"Ethan told me something..." Lydia took a deep breath and continued, "About you and Dad, and how much he loved you and then Dad showed up. He stole you from him and you asked some vampire to forget... everything."

"What? Forget?" Amelia frowed.

"You were there." Her daughter explained, "Thome Mathews says he knows you."

"What are you trying to say, Lydia?" 

"Ethan was telling the truth, Mom."

Sometimes the truth is hard to admit, sometimes we bury it so deep inside our souls we forget it's there, but it is. Everyone have their own secrets, their own past, their own share of regrets; and Amelia was no different, deep down she knew Lydia was right, she always felt like something was missing - and now she knew what it was, kind of.