iv. best shot

"Where were you last night?"

"It's none of your business." Ryan replied.

Alec took off his helmet and set it down next to his brother's.

"With Octavia?"

"Seriously, dude, you have nothing to do with it."

"Boys, stop. Please." Their father stepped in, "Can we just talk quietly?"

"I was trying, but Ryan didn't seem to understand." Alec said.

"No, you were trying to sneek into my life!" His brother stood up.

The rest of the family was attracted to that corner of the yard by Ryan's tone. Everyone was probably curious about what the argument was about that time.

"You sneek into everybody's life! Or do you think no one has noticed your failed attempt to get a sneek peek of the life of the popular girl from volleyball team, huh? "Ryan approached, "You feel alone and you think that others' lifes will fill your emptiness!"

"Shut up." Alec clenched his fists.

"Ryan –." His mother warned him.

"You get yourself into everyone's business because you don't have a life, do you?! Well, we're all sick of pitying you! Why do we even pity you?!"

Alec tried to control himself, to control the anger within himself, but with Ryan's last accusation the pressure became impossible to endure. Ryan foresaw what was to come, but his agile movement was too slow. Two strong hands gripped his neck. The brothers were face to face and no one dared to separate them.

"I don't need you to pity me, I don't want it." Alec muttered through his clenched teeth.

"I know." Ryan returned with a smirk.

When Wes carefully touched Alec's back, he relaxed. He left his brother who kept his smirk. Alec stepped away. They all looked worried, especially their parents.

"Fine, fine." Alec raised his arms, "I'm sorry, I overreacted."

Ryan laughed and approached him, patting Alexander on the back.

"Let's see who scores more?"

And then everyone laughed as if nothing had happened. After all, it was a Saturday like all the others from all centuries that have passed though them.

For Lydia it would be just another Saturday, just another busy Saturday, if she hadn't found her best friend in trouble. Then things got complicated.

"Are you sure she's ok?" Amelia asked again.

"Yeah, she just got really drunk last night and thought it would be better to crash here." The red-haired girl lied, "Seriously, Mom."

"If you say so."

"Oh, I just need to ask you for favor." Lydia gave a small smile.

"Yes, hunny." Her mother looked at her.

"Can you look out for Octavia while I go to the Poors' Soup?" She asked, "I swear it won't be long, I'll even ask Elena to leave earlier and –."

"Lydia," Amelia caressed her daughter's face affectionately, "it's ok. Take all the time you need, I'll take care of Octavia."

"Thanks, Mom."

"I'm so proud of you, dear." She kissed her forehead.

Lydia couldn't concentrate while making the meals. Although she knew her mother was watching over Octavia, she couldn't stop trying to imagine what had happened to her best friend the previous night. But she knew it had certainly been scary.