FOURTEEN: "Mark Me"

Lydia wasn't looking for anything, but then Alec showed up in her life and made her question everything. What she wanted, who she was. And now it might be too late to turn back.

"Bad?" Alexander tipped his head back. "Then I'm done."

"Shut up." Lydia laughed.

"What? If there's anyone who can get a good grade at biology, it's you." Alec reminded her, "And you say that it went bad."

"Yes," She looked at her hands, "but I didn't study much."

Mathews leaned across the table and touched her hand. A smile openned on her face, he smiled back at her. He admired her smile for a few minutes, Lydia had the most beautiful smile Alec had ever seen, and it was beautiful just because it was hers.

"I'm sure you're still better than me."

And he didn't care.

The ringing of Alexander's phone stopped them and he pulled away. He looked at the screen and sighed.

"It's Lily." He said to the redhead.

"Might be important."

Alec nodded and answered.

"Brother, I was on watch at Lydia's house, as you asked." She sounded worried.

"What is it?" The boy sat straight.

"I got a scent," She told him. "followed it to the cliff."

"So?" Alec replied in confusion.

"We have a body." Lily whispered. "You should come."

"Ok. I'm on my way." He hung up.

Lydia was frowning at him, and he tried to smile at her. Calm her down.

"It's all ok."

"No, you're worried." Jones accused him.

"Theodore arrived, that's all." Alexander lied to her, "He's a member of the Red Council."

She watched him standing up and did the same. Alec turned to look at her with frown brow, only to identify determination in her green eyes.

"Where are you going?" He asked her.

"With you." The redhead shrugged.

"No, you have classes." Mathews reminded her.

"You too." Lydia replied with a triumphant smile.

"I'm a vampire." He smiled at her, "I think I've heard them enough."

Then he passed past her. He left the cafeteria behind and went look for his siblings, probably it was also important for them to be there.

Lydia stood behind, all alone. Finally, she found Octavia on the benches outside.

"Where's Ryan? I'm tired of calling him!" Octavia grunted.

Lydia looked away from the Lacrosse field and turned to her best friend. She was gripping the phone with both hands, she was clearly annoyed.

"Another member of the Red Council arrived."

Something had really happened, she knew it was more than Theodore's arrival, but she knew better than to argue with Alec about those things.

"Oh! Is everything ok?" O was worried.

"Yeah, I guess." Lydia looked down at her hands, "I only know what Alexander told me."