SEVENTEEN: "I Had To"

"Uou."

Alec smiled when he noticed the happy expression on Lydia's face, her read hair was flying widly, covering a part of her face, but he still could see her big smile.

She turned around and faced him, "I never came here. Well, I have been near the river but not... here."

"Lily has a gift for this things." Alec told her, "A lot of free time."

"What does she do really?"

"Photograph it's her big passion." He answered.

"Hm," Lydia approached him with arms crossed, "do you think she'd mind showing me her pictures?"

"No. Trust me," Mathews laughed, "she loves to show them."

The redhead sat down, didn't care about the sand and took off her tennis and socks. Alec did the same. A comfortable silence surrounded them, and they just enjoyed the view.

A ruiva sentou-se, não se importou com a areia e retirou também os seus ténis e as meias. Alec imitou-a. E um silêncio confortável envolveu-os, limitaram-se a apreciar a paisagem.

Until Alec spoke up.

"Did you ask your mother anything?"

She swallowed and pulled her knees to her chest, "I did."

"And what did she say?" He asked, careful.

"Nothing." Lydia looked at him with sadness, "She doesn't remember."

Mathews looked back at the revolting river and sighed longly for both of them. Of course, every forgetfulness had a way to be reversed. It wasn't easy, but it was possible. He wasn't sure he should tell Lydia, but then again it was for the best.

"There's a way for her to remember." Alec ended up telling her.

"How?" She eyed him with curiosity.

"The same vampire that made her forget can make her remember."

"And how could we know who did it?" Lydia gave up, "Anyway, my Mom must have a good reason to ask such a thing, right?"

"Yes." Mathews nodded.

When the silence came back it wasn't comfortable. Alec could see that Jones wanted to ask him something, it was so clear in the way her green ways wondered between him and the view.

"What is it?"

"Nothing." She shook her head.

"C'mon, Lydia. I know you better than that." Alec insisted.

The redhead faced him completely and knelt. She bit down on her lip and, just then, she spoke up again.

"About what happened earlier at the Poors' Soup..."

Alec already knew what she was about to say next, but let her speak anyway. He wanted to hear it from her mouth.

"... why did you say that to Jason?"

"He asked." Mathews shrugged.

"How did you know he never kissed me?" Lydia asked confused.

"I didn't." He smiled widely.

Alec saw Lydia's face light up. The realization in her eyes. It was so clear now that he had said that to see Jason's reaction, that was when Alec knew that the boy had never touched Lydia, not the way he had.

"You're as idiot as I thought." Lydia smiled.

"You thought I was an idiot?" Alec touched his own chest, "Can't believe it."