TWENTY TWO: "I, Robert"

They were back to shcool. Lydia was still exhausted, to say the truth, so when she sat down at the large table at lunch, she wasn't surprised when her friends asked her what was wrong. Was she supposed to be honest or make something up to avoid worry them?

"Really, it looks like you haven't sleep all holidays." Amber commented.

"Yeah. I had some great holidays." Lydia ended up nodding.

Octavia glanced at her best friend, she knew it was a lie. She had spent some days at the redhead's house and she had slept perfectly. 

"Well do you think you can warn Riley that today's practice is canceled?" O smiled at her friends, "She's the only one that doesn't know."

"Ah... sure." Malia stood up.

Amber followed her and both best friends stayed behind, looking at each other and it weren't needed many words for Octavia to realize that she was right, something had happened.

"They caught him." Lydia whispered, "Ethan, the vampire."

"Really?" She got excited, but then frowned her forehead, "Why do you look so worried then?"

"I don't know what's going to happen, O." The redhead swallowed, "But something bad is coming our way."

A shiver ran down the spine of both friends. Lydia didn't need to say anything else for the dar-haired girl's heart to speed up. Jones thought of herself as a aselfish person for feeling the need to share such an anguish with Octavia, but tried to remember herself that it was better this way - so Octavia would be ready, be safe.

"Girls."

They looked up, it was Wesley. He was with his brothers, and all of them sat down at the empty chairs around the large table. Alec sat bedise Lydia and, noticing her tense shoulders, pulled her closer and planted a kiss on her red hair. 

"Is everything ok?" 

"No." Octavia answer in her friend's turn.

"What's wrong?"Mark narrowed his eyes.

Both girls stayed silent, just keeping their eyes on each other. They searched for support in one another, hope too. 

"You told her, didn't you?" Alec faced the redhead.

She looked at him, "Yes."

"Octavia, everything is going to work out, ok?" Ryan leaned over the table, "We're gonna get this right."

"You don't need to try to make me feel better." Cooper spat.

"What?" He frowed, "I care about -."

Octavia let out a laugh, "You what?"

"Yes, I -."

"You and I are done, remember?" She reminded with bitterness, "You don't owe me anything, Ryan."

With that Octavia stood up from the table, pushed back the chair, that ended up on the ground, and walked away, not looking back, not even once.

"What the hell just happened?" Wes faced his brother, perplexed.

"You heard. We broke up." He told him, "I probably hurt her."

"Yeah, probably." Lydia looked at him.

"I didn't mean to, Lyds. I did the best I could, ok? She's a wonderful girl and I could make this work, but it wouldn't be fair for her." Ryan explained.

"Why? She likes you." The readhead replied, confused.

"Well, because... I still love Iris. And it wouldn't be fair for Octavia to be in a relationship, where she isn't loved the way she deserves, with a boy that loves a... ghost." He told her, "Sometimes we have to let people go so they can be happy, we have to realize that some things aren't for us."