The Pied Piper Part 2

Peter kept his word and all the rats were drowned. Your father, however did not.

"I am here to collect my earning." Peter says. Your father throws a small sack of coins. Inside were 30 guilders. "I am sorry sir, but we agreed on 300."

"Well yeah but," your father said, "You managed to get rid of those rats so quickly. Who knows perhaps you brought them to us first."

"Father!" you say incredulously. "He helped us, we should at least-"

"Shut up F/n!" your father yells. You look apologetically at Peter."Take what I gave you and go on your merry way." Peter leaves and your father goes out to probably celebrate his con. You sneak into your father's counting room and take 50 guilders. You run out in hopes of catching up to Peter.

"Peter wait!" you shout when you see him about to leave the village. He stops and looks at you. You could see he was rather angry that he was cheated. You had him the bag of coins. "50 guilders. I wanted to pay you full price but father would know if I did. I am so sorry for what he has done."

"You are not at fault for your father's actions F/n. That man should of been the one doing this though."

"Really I am sorry and thank you for chasing the rats out. I hope that one day I will be able to pay you back."

"We'll see." he smiled before leaving. You head home before your father notices your disappearance. Since Peter had left, it was more easy to maintain crops during harvest season but your father, being the greedy man he was, demanded more. You heard plots about over throwing your father as village chief and you had no qualms about it. Power had gotten to your father's head and corrupted him even more.

Your father was shortly overthrown from his position and a more wise man was put to power. Peter was pleased to hear this. He had moved to the next town over since he couldn't travel as far with what he had. He had become a street performer, getting money from passerby. It was a wonder how he always made enough to make ends meet. Whenever he wasn't playing on his pipe, he would watch your village to see how it was fairing. He was happy your father was out of power but was worried for you. 

Every now and then you would have a bruise somewhere on your body. This was because your father had turned to drinking. The new village chief had offered to take you in for safety or throw your father in the local jail and you wanted to accept. If you accepted to stay with the chief, your father no doubt would cause more problems and if he was thrown in jail, he could possibly be facing execution. If he were to die, you feel like it was your fault and more than anything you didn't want that feeling.

Late at night your father was coming out of a bar grumbling. They had decided to ban him from drinking any more. He didn't like that and decided to get a walk around in the forest. The next morning, your father was no where to be found. The villagers decided to actually look for him two days later since he hadn't returned. He was found face flat in the river where the rats drowned.