Mulan Part 5 (End)

You had just arrived at the capital with Jian Ren and was quickly escorted to the palace. None of the palace servants showed disrespect to you or him. You were waiting in the throne room with him when the Emperor showed up. You bow your head in respect as does Jian Ren. Once he sits, he turns to you.

"Rise your head." you obey and look at the Emperor. He was a lot more frail looking than you thought. His age was beginning to show but he had something kind about him. "I heard about what happened." You want to look down but you feared it would be showing disrespect. "Is it true you hid your gender?"

"Yes my liege." you reply truthfully.

"Why?"

"To save my father."

"And is it true you saved my son's life and nearly lost yours in the process?"

"Yes." The Emperor smiled at you.

"You are quite brave. Risking your life not once but twice and if not more if you take into account all the battles you fought."

"Thank you."

"Now it is true that what you did is punishable by death but since you saved my son, I think it is fair to spare yours." You smile slightly in relief.

"Thank you for your kindness."

"Since she saved me father, I think it is fair to give her reward." Jian Ren suggests.

"What do you have in mind?" the Emperor asks.

"She saved a prince. She comes from a small village. A title might be suitable for her." he suggests. 

"What do you desire dear?" the Emperor asks you kindly. 

"I wish to be able to return home and also I wish that my family won't have to partake in any wars unless they desire it."

"Is that all."

"Yes."

"Then it shall be done. I will have a written declaration exempting your family from wars coming and tomorrow have you sent home."

"Thank you." you reply before you and Jian Ren are dismissed. He takes you to a room. You see all the finery and marvel at it.

"Do you like my chambers?" Jian Ren asks. You turn to him and nod.

"You could of requested a title of some sort. You would be living a life of luxury."

"But then I would have to conform to court rules. My way of thinking is much different."

"How so?"

"My parents had a loving relationship. My father never took on any extramarital affairs even though it could be allowed. In fact none of the men in my village did take part of it as far as I know."

"So you worry about that only?" (Please note that in China during the Tang Dynasty, it was a social norm for men in political power to have concubines as it showed power. I might have some detail off since I doing my research on wikipedia)

"Not just that. Children. Your identity was hidden to protect you from poison correct?" he nods. "If I were to have a son, he would be faced with death on more occasions that I would like." Jian Ren bit his lip. He saw how passionate about this you were. You wouldn't out right agree to be with him. He knew this. But still he must try.

"What if I asked? What would you have done?"

"I would decline."

"Why?"

"Two reasons. We aren't a suitable match and since you are the legitimate son of the Emperor, you would married to a woman of better standing."

"You would really decline me?" You eye Jian Ren carefully.

"You seem like you care about my opinion a little too much."

"I do because I want you by my side."

"You know this won't work."

"You won't even try."

"Because I know we aren't compatible. Besides. The Emperor only spared my life because I saved you. I don't think he would be too happy thinking I want to marry into his family."

"F/n."

"I am leaving tomorrow. We won't ever see each other again after this." You walk out of the room never looking back. You didn't love him that way. You just wanted to go home. True to your word, you left the next day. You were returned to your family and they were exempted from the military unless they desired to join.

Your deeds were made known to your village and people were looking for you as prospective wife for their sons. The local fortune teller had started a rumor that since you saved someone from the Imperial family, you would bear sons who would be doing mighty and just deeds that would lead to recognition of the nobility. 

A month later, you heard that the Emperor was poisoned and Jian Ren had claimed power.