Thumbelina Epilogue

Jerome lied. He lied about your mother's death. He lied about you not being able to have wings. The only time he didn't lie was that his parents were dead. Their deaths were very mysterious. Poisoning they said. Why would anyone want to poison them though? The fairies didn't know and were still very much confused. 

You were as well. From what you heard, they were very good people. Jerome had taken very extreme precautions about replacing wings. When you found out, he said it was because you weren't a fairy originally and therefore couldn't use them. You believed him.

You loved Jerome but could always sense there was something different about him. Rumors had spread that he was going crazy until he found you. You didn't know what happened that caused him to be like this. Every time you asked, he would brush it off as normal.

Some nights he would disappear and not return until the morning. When you asked, he said he was just inspecting the nearby lakes and ponds. You believed him. He wasn't lying about that though. He was looking for the frog who set the chain of events into motion. He wanted revenge. Slowly though, he made changes. Since you couldn't fly and leave on your own, he would take you himself. You weren't allowed to leave unless he permitted it. Even when he did, he was always with you.

Whenever you were outside, he would always be next to you and never left your side for even a second. Your visits to the outside world were becoming shorter and shorter until finally you weren't going out anymore. Every time you asked he would say that he was too busy at the moment. 

You had always dreamed of the outside world. You got to see it and met people of your own height and lived among them. Even then, you kept on dreaming of the outside world and hoped that one day you would get to actually be a part of it.