Wild Swans Part 3

His name was Caleb and he was around Elias' age. He was thrown off his horse due to the horse getting frightened. The two of you had a strange relationship. You got along well with each other, but you didn't fully trust who he was. He claimed to be a man of low nobility. He owned a horse, so he must've been someone of some power. The way he acted though, was much like how Arin was, before the witch took over. He was someone significant.

The month was peaceful though. He found it odd that you were creating shirts of nettle, but didn't say anything. You were finishing a sleeve while Caleb was sitting on the bed. His wounds had healed but you made sure he stayed in bed so he wouldn't reopen anything.

"You can speak." he says. You look at him. "I noticed that everytime you go outside, you put a cloth in your mouth. But why?" you look down. You didn't really know who knew about the situation you and your family was in. Arin told you that only father and a select few of the generals who were loyal to your family was aware of the curse and the way to break it. Most of the kingdoms only know that you and your brothers are missing.

You point to your throat and shake your head. Caleb was someone you cared for, but you couldn't let him know about what you were doing. 

"I see. But, it has been a month. You could at least tell me your name." You understood his position very well. He was living under your care and yet you never let him knew your name. You hadn't written anything in his presence, but perhaps you should. Caleb was someone much more powerful and wealthy than he let on. What harm would there be if you wrote?

You gather the soot from the fireplace and put it on a small plate. You write your name on it.

"F/n?" he says. That sounded very familiar to him. As he looks at the name more carefully, realization dawns upon him. He turns to you. The princess went missing when she was merely twelve. You looked to be around her age. "Are you by any chance the missing princess?" you turn to him surprised. He made such a bold assumption, and though he wasn't wrong, how could he have gotten to this conclusion?

"Forgive me. But it makes sense sort of. No one has seen the princess in six years or her brothers for that matter. But you do bear some resemblance to the missing princess. I didn't notice until after reading your name." you shake your head. You wanted to hide your identity and you were already regretting writing your name.

"I am a prince F/n." You turn him shocked. You wanted to ask but you covered your mouth to prevent yourself from speaking. "Prince Caleb Evertte. Even if you aren't the princess, I will like to thank you for saving me and taking care of me for the past month." Just then, the door opens, revealing Florian, David and Elias.