9. Pink Milk (Phana's version)

"Oii! Stop whining about it Ai'Pha. There is nothing you can do about it, so you might as well make the best of it, right?" Kit said in a frustrated tone.

Phana had been complaining about having to help out with the Moon and Star pageant for the past fifteen minutes and Kit felt like his ears were going to fall off. Beam on the other hand, sat stuffing his face and ignoring them as if the two of them weren't even there.

"I never asked to be the Campus Moon." Phana pouted. He turned his back to the table to lean against it and stretch his long legs out. "Why should I have to help?"

"To show the new guys how it's done. You're tall, handsome, athletically fit. You're the whole package." Kit was hoping his compliments would cheer him up and get him to stop complaining. Beam finally joined the conversation and took a different angle.

"I would be happy if I were you, Ai'Pha. I heard your Yo is going to be the representative for the science faculty this year."

Phana sat up at attention and turned back around to face his friends.

"How do you know? Who told you? When did you see him?" He was asking so quickly; all his words were running together.

Beam shrugged. "I heard that queen P'Ging talking about it with some other seniors. He was going on an on about how cute their new nominee is and then I heard him say Nong'Yo's name."

Phana grew quiet as he looked off in thought. Kit and Beam exchanged glances then looked back at Phana who was trying to hide his smile.

"What if you've got it wrong?" Phana asked seriously.

"Ai'Pha! How many people do you know named Wayo Panitchayasawad??" Beam asked, completely exasperated with him now.

"This is your chance, Ai'Pha." Kit said looking at him.

Phana looked at his friends. What did he ever do to deserve two best friends that would help him chase after the same guy for four years?

"Mmm." Phana finally agreed. "Let's head over to the library now. We have to start studying tonight."

Beam and Kit let out simultaneous groans. If Phana wasn't talking about Wayo, he was talking about studying. The school of medicine operated on a different calendar than the rest of the university, so they were already having classes and receiving homework assignments. Beam and Kit hated studying. Phana, on the other hand, had always been a straight A student. Even in high school.

As they gathered their things to leave, Phana looked out over the canteen. They had to walk pretty far to get to this specific one, but they didn't mind because there were more food choices at this one. It was also closer to the library, which is where they were headed anyway. As they started walking to get rid of their dirty plates, Phana felt a sharp elbow in his ribs. He looked down to see Kit point straight ahead. He followed his finger and his eyes landed on the one and only Wayo Panitchayasawad. He was sitting at a table with Ming, who looked like he was getting ready to leave.

Phana's stomach lurched and his heart sped up a bit. What were the odds he would run into him right now after they had just been talking about him?

Phana immediately grabbed his wallet out of his pocket and rushed toward the stall selling flavored drinks.

"One pink milk, please" He told the woman at the counter.

Beam and Kit ran up on either side of him.

"Ai'Pha! You're really going to give him the milk this time? That's such a big step!" Kit said proudly. Phana looked back over his shoulder to where Wayo and Ming were sitting. Ming had already walked away and he saw Wayo getting to his feet.