35. The Best Night Ever (part 1)

[Author's Note]: This chapter is a bit of a long one so grab a snack and get comfy!

______________________________________________________________________

Yo spent the entire day in his room, anxiously waiting for the evening to come. After their dinner last night, he and Phana had finally exchanged phone numbers and spent the night texting until they fell asleep. Yo was certain that he had gone to sleep with a smile on his face. But when he woke up that morning, he was met with a lovely good morning text from Phana and then another message that said,

Tonight at 7pm I will be picking you up. See you soon.

Yo tried texting him to ask what this was all about but for some reason Phana would not respond to those messages. Was he supposed to dress up? Was this another date? Did he need to get Phana a gift or something? What was going on?

Even though it was a holiday weekend, he still had work to do for his classes. In one of his classes, he had a group project to prepare for and needed to meet with his group mates to begin organizing things. Yo hated group projects. It was rare that everyone involved contributed an equal amount of work and that annoyed him. There was also a possibility that they were going to meet with their professor, so to be on the safe side, he put on his uniform to look a bit more professional.

At the group meeting, things actually went well. Everyone was enthusiastic about their project and no one was lazy. They never ended up meeting with their professor so Yo felt kind of silly for putting on his uniform. He and his group members were so engrossed in what they were doing that Yo lost track of the time. He didn't realize what time it was until he noticed that the sun was starting to set.

"What time is it?" He asked turning his wrist to see his watch. His watch read 6:55.

"Oi! I have to go! I made plans with someone." He said as he hurriedly began to pack up his things. "I'm sorry but I can't stay."

"It's okay, Ai'Yo. We covered a lot of material today. We should all go." A girl named Bird said.

"Yea, I'm getting pretty hungry." A boy named Toy agreed.

"Message me on Line if there is anything else I need to do."

"Okay. Bye, Yo." Bird smiled.

"Bye guys!" Yo called out as he sprinted out of the library. He arrived at his dorm just as Phana was pulling up to it in his fancy car with the window rolled down. Yo slowed down and watched him pull into a parking spot right next to him.

"Running to meet me?" Phana smirked.

"Not a chance." Yo smiled.

Phana got out the car and walked up to Yo, taking the bag off his shoulder. "Where are you coming from?"

"The library. I have a group project to work on."

"Well you just made it. Come on." Phana said turning to walk back to the car and put Yo's bag inside.

"Where are we going?"

"You'll see."

Phana got back in the driver's seat and waited for Yo to climb in on the other side. He was wearing his uniform again too so Yo assumed that he had been working all day as well.

They rode in silence the whole ride, occasionally stealing glances at each other but neither of them felt nervous or awkward at the fact that neither of them were talking. Yo noticed that they were pulling up into a parking lot for a small local fair. There were tons of people out eating street food, playing games at the many different stalls; there were vendors selling different things and there was even a Ferris wheel in the center of the small park.