Backups & MEGA

If you don't usually use a seatbelt when you drive, everything seems o.k. until the day you hit a tree. Indie musicians are almost always having trouble making ends meet and it is tempting to ignore the need for safety backups of all your music files but the day your computer dies you'll be glad if "your seatbelt was on before you hit the tree".

I have a Time Machine backup discs (one with a mirror and one time based), and two manual backup plus stems and projects in the cloud. I have a routine I try to follow that I copy all my recently changed Logic files manually to a red backup (2T) on uneven days and a black backup (2T) on even days, AND every Friday I do a week long backup of everything through my Time Machine. I add things to the cloud when then are totally completed. 

Now, you might have some opinions on how I do things, but the thing is this has worked pretty well for me.The main thing is to have some sort of routine so that you can salvage your files if you "hit a tree". 

There are many ways to backup and I can't/won't get into all of them here but I will name a few and give some important links to get you going.

Get a MEGA account. MEGA.nz is an encrypted cloud service that makes it easy to save whole projects.

Dropbox is a must if you are sending files to publicists or for someone else to master, for example. It is free if you don't have much but

I found this article particularly helpful:
https://ask.audio/articles/backup-logic-system-find