Grrr....The music industry!

I am a indie music loner. The above video is why. Looking back I am so thankful that I made the decision not to pursue music in the 80s. The industry would have ruined me. When I was in high school (the 80s.) I never thought I could make it in music and I still don't see that happening for most artists. So why do we continue? Because we are passionate about our music and many are sucked into the fame game. Don't be that idiot. Keep your music in your own hands and be your own boss. Thank me later. 

The music business is imploding. People that get their music heard and get millions of streams still can't pay their bills. Recording labels are sick and it is very lonely AND expensive to make your own music. I wonder where this will end?

(The latest infographic on streaming from informationisbeautiful

(The latest infographic on streaming from informationisbeautiful.net.) This is how many plays you need to make minimum wage per month! Grrrr.....Yeah, it's sad but true

Spotify

And this infographic from the New York Times (by Ben Sesario dated March 31, 2018) tells you that the biggest cut is for those who hold onto the whole process which is what I am doing. I am going to get a maxed cut ........of the smallest pie ever! LOL!

If you are a big artist, 90% of the revenue from your streaming music goes to the record label

If you are a big artist, 90% of the revenue from your streaming music goes to the record label. Them they make sure that you sign a contract to pay them for all their cost out of your 10%. It is a sick world we live in. 

As an indie you have to hold onto your songs, your beats, dreams, and branding/promotion otherwise someone is going to come at steal them from you and make you pay for your creativity. They are out there to use your talent to make themselves rich so watch out!

Do it yourself and save money, lose time, control quality

O.k. now we are back again at the cost/time/quality triangle! 

Beware of the nice invitations and great deals to promote you. Choose carefully and see what buck invested gets you the best results. 

Two years ago I went to Nashville because I was invited to do an audition for a tour. I had to pay for everything. Airplane tickets, audition fee guitar rental, food, you name it and I got a handful of feedback from industry experts in return.  What a waste of money. I did get to see how the industry works and I'm glad I did so I know what to steer clear of now.

Emails about  interviews 

This morning I got yet another invitation to be interviewed by a who knows who nobody where they offered to give me a written interview and get some space on a site I've never heard of for $45. And I could pay more to get even more exposure. Nope. Unsubscribed! Check!

I am going to contact local newspapers and do my research myself. I know I can get exposure because I have done the work before. C'mon! 

How a trashy song made me famous (locally) 

I once wrote a song called Våran Central about a local garbage recycling station where I live in Sweden. Just for fun, I sent the words to a local newspaper telling them they could print it for free as long as they named me. The phone rang the same day and the next morning a reporter and a photographer showed up. The day after I was in the local newspaper. 

Then the locals asked me to play the song at a yearly event and sing at another. It was that easy and it didn't cost me a dime. 

P

P.s. I use the hashtag #music4yoursoul and #musicforyoursoul on Twitter and Instagram. 

And I saw this yesterday! Cool! Alice Cooper is a legend and he knew or knows all the greats. He is one of the few that has really made it and here is a humble man that is worth listening to. 

He became big when being big was doable. It was still rough and almost killed him but then God changed everything! 

In a final word, considering the music business today, hold on to your craft, your money, your dreams and your branding. Do crazy good stuff and watch them come to you. Be in it for the joy of singing/creating and don't let your livelihood depend on it. That is all for now

Until next time....

I write this blog/diary for those who are in the music making business and want to see how others struggle too. I also need to write because it helps me think things through for myself and to document my process of making and producing, promoting and distributing music.

If you liked this post please follow me on the other places I'm at (check my bio) and follow me here on Wattpad, it's free! If you go to featherheadmedia.com and subscribe, you will also get a gift from me - a song to cheer you up. Have a great day!

Liz