Getting a Static Mix Right

I have found that this, (next after great recording in a properly acoustically treated room), is the most important part of getting a great sounding mix. It is worth spending at least an hour getting it right and then taking a break and listening once again.  This is a condensed and regurgitated version of Rob Mayzes' article in Sonic Scoop;  https://sonicscoop.com/2019/04/17/how-to-ace-the-static-mix-get-levels-panning-right-the-1st-time/

1. Loop the loudest section of the song 

2. Start by turning all the faders down

3. Balance each individual instruments in height order: Start with no sound. Take the most important element first. Reintroduce the instruments one at a time with the most important/loudest one first, then the second most important and so on. Do so within instrument groups that have a common bus, too. (For example get the levels on the drum mix right within the mix before adding them to the lead vocal.)

4. Volume automation in the loudest part of the song: when you have all the instruments and vocals in good levels within the loudest part of the song, typically the last chorus, move to the other parts and volume automate the places where the most important elements get lost in the mix, looping each section and making sure that the context works and flows naturally. 

5. Panning: Once you are satisfied with the balance of the elements in your mix, you want to create separation in it too. Panning helps. You can pan before or as you volume adjust (step 3). It's up to you. Think rationally about whether to place things on the left or right - just like they would be on a stage. Make sure there is clarity and that the panning created space for the most important elements throughout the song. 

6. Fine tuning: Once your volume levels are set and your panning seems good to you, take a break and then go back and listen again while writing down whatever bugs you: phase issues, volume dips, competing instruments, etc, noting the time they occur in the mix. I use Wunderlist app to create a do list of things that need to be fixed in a mix. It's a great help and it is fun to hear that bell every time I get a task accomplished in the list. 

Reference you song against a great commercial mix. Maybe you want to add some volume automation right before a chorus to make it extra exciting or perhaps you need to change your panning a bit. It is a great way to train your ear and find mistakes/areas of improvement in your mix. Choose a song that is similar in bpm, vibe and instrument mix. Write down in the Wunderlist app all the changes you'd like to make to improve the flow and feeling of your mix to get it up to a commercial level. 

7. Adjust the volume automation in the rest of the song:

When you were satisfied with the loudest part of the song, you should first progress to the section leading up to it and do more volume automation if needed, focusing on the vocals again (pop). If you think something is drowning out the vocals, pull that down. I often find that drums in the verse are too loud compared to the vocals in the verses. Then I pull the whole drum sum mix down just enough to let the vocals through. Adjust the bass and guitars, for example, to the new level of the drums. Proceed to the other parts of the song. 

While you do the fine adjustments, take small breaks often. This is a tiring procedure!

Continue to work in this way throughout the song. Done!

Until next time....