Chapter 30: Fetching Intel

Sunday

07:30

James ran down the stairs, his laptop tucked in between his arm, his car key rolling on his finger. The kids were still having their breakfast. He messed up with Jace's hair, grinning, "Well, well...someone woke up very early today."

He groaned in response, "Stop it, dad. Why the hell are you smiling? You're about to effing lose the company."

He laughed it off, grabbed an apple from the basket on the table and tossed it to the girl, "Catch, Ileana!"

Ileana quickly let go of her half-eaten pancake and clumsily caught the apple, a bit flustered. She stared at James questioningly.

James just smiled, "Sierra picked em for you from the orchard. She said you liked the reddest ones."

Ileana stared at the apple, "Wait...from the orchard?"

He nodded, "Yes, think of it as a token of forgiveness."

She scowled, "She won't win me back with apples!"

Jace saw the knowing look on his father's face. What was this man thinking about? He knew he was cooking something on his mind then.

James nodded, now grinning, "Maybe, knowing the fact that she got engaged to me for $ 1.2 million changes everything?"

Jace banged his fist on the table, "$1.2 million!? Are you out of your mind?"

Ileana gulped, "I'm sorry she did that! I didn't know she was capable of doing something so wicked."

James' eyes softened, "Maybe she risked her happiness for saving a certain someone's father who needed an urgent heart transplant?"

Ileana widened her eyes, wondering if she heard correctly. She never...thought of this possibility. She couldn't even look at that man at the moment. The news weighted heavy on her shoulders.

Jace pushed his chair back and stood furiously, demanding, "And what did you gain from all of this, dad?"

"Getting engaged was your grandfather's first step to keep the company. Sierra is a wonderful woman."

"You forced her?!"

"Tsk, we had an arrangement. I must really leave now. The board is waiting for me for the preps."

"Wait. When's the meeting?"

"At 9. Order pizza if you're hungry."

He watched his father go, clenching his fists. That old, foolish man would lose everything now. Damn him. How could he just watch his father fall? It was unthinkable. He rapidly went to fetch his bike keys upstairs and called out, "Ileana, save my number!"

He began shouting the numbers at her and she rapidly took out her phone to note it. He came back a minute later, peeped over her shoulder to see if she had taken it right and said, "Now princess, miscall me."

Ileana grumbled, glancing at him, "Why do you even need my number for?" He grabbed her chair, leaned by her side and whispered in her ear, "Aw that's because you're my responsibility." He teasingly bit her earlobe and she gasped, becoming red, "Oh my God, I'll kill you!"

He laughed as he escaped. She threw her apple at him and he caught it, "Thanks, cupcake! See you!" He took a bite and disappeared.

Ileana caressed her ear, feeling the burning sensation. Damn him. She'd get back at him for that! She ate another pancake and tucked the rest in the microwave. It felt weird to stay all alone here.

For now, she needed to have a serious conversation with her mother because it was clear that she'd been hiding so much from her. Especially that heart transplant.