Chapter 59: Everyone Out!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Meanwhile, Inside the Fortress

Ileana was frozen on the spot, squatting on her knees as she buried her face in her hand and muttered God's name repeatedly. She dared not look as Jace and the woman fought around her as if they were her shield. 

She was shaking. She could not do this anymore. There were so many. The noises were terrifying. She would die here. She would definitely die. She heard Jace's sudden shriek of pain and a loud metal clang. 

She jerked, opening her eyes only to find him underneath one of those monsters as he was trying to push it off. The rusty crowbar which he had been using as a weapon was close to her. She couldn't even get herself to move. She could not do this.

The woman roared at her, as she was fighting off three at the same time, "Help him, girl." 

She sprang to her feet, grabbed the crowbar and as the creature turned its head away from Jace to screech at her, she brought the bar strongly against its temple. It was fazed. She didn't stop there and brutally dug the sharp end of the crow bar in the skull of the creature, wrenched it out only to shove it in again, twisting it, beating it, not caring about the blood that splat on her. 

Jace slid away from the beast, staring breathlessly at Ileana as she uncontrollably lashed at that monster. "Ileana!"

She didn't hear him. 

He exclaimed, "It's dead, Ileana!" He stood painfully, grabbed her wrist suddenly, stopping her from hitting the lifeless creature again and she struggled. "Stop it. You already killed him." 

Realisation dawned upon her as he said those words. Overwhelmed, she lowered her trembling hand, feeling weak as she murmured, "I...I killed him." 

He instantly wrapped his arms around her, pulling her strongly against him and she burst into tears, burying her face against his chest, holding him even tighter. He hushed her, stroking her hair as she cried, "It's alright, princess." "It's not..."

He raised his head, looking at the woman who violently kicked off a creature with her boot, snapping his neck, killing it on the instant. She raised her crossbow, firing sharp piercing darts at two beasts which launched themselves at her. 

She dodged down elegantly as another flung his claws towards her. She grabbed his wrist instead, holding the creature dangerously close only to thrust her dagger into his stomach and ripped it up his body. Jace closed his eyes, unable to even watch.

He was shaking as much as Ileana. He was afraid. Hell, this was more terrifying than anything he had ever faced before. He steeled himself, drawing her completely in his arms. Eff all of that. He would be strong for her. Hell, he would protect her like he always did. 

She pulled back a little from his arms to look into his eyes, still teary, "I can't do this anymore. I can't..." Their crystals interlaced as she did so and they light up in a red and blue glow. 

He understood more than ever. He ran his thumb against her cheek to wipe off the blood that certainly didn't belong to her and softly said, "I know you're scared. I am, too. Think of it like...the video game we played in my room. Just like there, I need you to watch my back. Can you do that?" 

She sobbed, slowly disengaging their crystals, the lights fading away, "I'll try, Jace. I love you." 

He tightened his grip around her, pressing his mouth against her temple, "Goddammit all, I love you too, Ileana. I effing do. And I swear I'll get us out of here."

They heard a mocking chuckle, "Aww, aren't you two cute together?" 

They both looked up at the woman who was now leaning against the wall, dozens of those creatures dead on the ground. She took care of them. Of every single one of them.