Chapter 48: Lies

Jace was bothered that Ileana wasn't coming out of the darn washroom in her room. It's been like fifteen minutes already. She had locked herself in there and was literally refusing to talk to him. Surely that couldn't have been her first kiss? 

Why was she so shy with him? Ugh. He groaned, recalling the taste of her mouth as he walked to the main living room. 

He saw Sierra sitting on the couch, a glass of wine in her hand as she was wearing nothing but a bathrobe. The news was on but she didn't really look like she was paying attention. He quietly approached her from behind and exclaimed loudly, "Hey teach', I'm hungry...!" 

She jerked, almost spilling the red liquid. She glared at him over her shoulder and he scratched his head, trying to hide his goofy smile, "You're not cooking tonight?" 

Sierra coldly said, looking back at the news, "Why are you even asking me that? Your father is here, right?"

He was surprised at her harsh tone. She was clearly pissed at something. He whined, "But he doesn't cook as well as you! Make something for me please? You're my fav teacher!" 

She sighed heavily, "You're not going to fool me with that." It wasn't right to be angry at everything because of one man. She stretched her arms lazily and finally stood, "...but anyway, I'll make something light. How about spaghetti?" 

He smirked, feeling hungrier now, "Yes!" 

She finished her wine, headed to the kitchen and he followed her. 

She looked really at ease tonight. Maybe it was that bathrobe. It was funny that she was wearing that. Especially that it was his father's.

She started humming a love song as she put water to boil on the stove and he listened, smugly asking as he opened the fridge, "Aw, I could call my dad y'know?" 

Not interrupting herself, she gave him an annoyed look as she emptied the spaghetti in the recipient. She wasn't in the mood to talk to James ever again. 

He reached down and took out a bottle of beer.

"Um, take out the tomatoes and herbs while you're there." 

He was surprised to find the veggies in a white bag. She must have brought them yesterday. He handed to her the bag itself, not bothering to go through the items. 

She got the chopping board and a sharp knife. She glanced at the Heineken he was opening using the edge of the table, "Hmpf, do you have any whiskey here?" 

He coughed, surprised, "Really? You drink that?!" 

She was amused, "I'm more of a connoisseur than you would know." 

His eyes were transfixed on her hands. She was so finely and speedily, chopping these herbs till they became refined bits. "You just had wine. Maybe, I'll pour you some later...if I like the food." 

She nodded, hiding a smile, "It's a fair deal, sir." 

He laughed softly. She wasn't that bad after all, compared to the other women his father had been involved with. 

He wondered if Ileana had come out of her hiding place yet. "So...er, I'll let you work. Don't wanna disturb the chef." 

She grimaced, shaking her head, "It'll be ready in twenty minutes. You call Ileana as well." She focused on the task at hand. This could be a much better distraction than the TV. 

She feared that James would find out about her sooner or later. That idiot didn't know what a mess she was. She knew he wanted to hear everything from her mouth but what would he think of her then? Would he still lo— Did he even?